Yamaha Zuma questions

Got performance questions or a success story? Let the world know, and push the limits of your scoot!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

tbh37620

Yamaha Zuma questions

Postby tbh37620 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:46 am

Hello guys, considering building a racing scooter. I was considering the Zuma since they are plentiful here in the US. My question is, can you fit liquid cooled AeroX/Minarelli based cylinders, cranks, drive components, etc on the Zuma engine? I am primarily considering the S6R/T MK1 kit.

Thanks for any help,

dan v

Re: Yamaha Zuma questions

Postby dan v » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:43 am

Yeah, it will "fit" - but I believe that that kit requires extensive case modification. Not for the casual tuner.

When you say you want to build a race scooter - what are your intentions? Drag racing, road racing, or a street scoot?
How many scoots is too many?

tbh37620

Postby tbh37620 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:44 am

It will be used for road racing. I am aware of the machining to get the cylinder to fit, just needed to know if the bolt pattern is the same between the AC and LC models. Do most of the other parts interchange as well? Drivetrain, crank, etc?

dan v

Postby dan v » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:49 am

No problem with interchangeability of Aerox parts, although the Aerox has rear disc brake as opposed to the drum on the Zuma.

Personally, for a road racing scoot, the Zuma would not be my first choice. Better options are available, but are getting very hard to find.

Where are you located?

tbh37620

Postby tbh37620 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 am

I am located in Ohio, I am sure there are better options to use. I have been keeping an eye out for SR50s, saw them all over craigslist for years and now that I am looking to buy one they are nowhere t be found.

I eventually plan to build a conventional style frame and use the engine from whatever scooter I buy to make a racing bike but that is 1-2 yrs down the road. Similar to the Gilera DNA 50 in concept

dan v

Postby dan v » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:10 am

Something similar to that is the Adly RT50 - available in the US and easy to work on....

Seems like the used SR50's are plentiful around here - but usually '09 models with the Piaggio engines. I will warn you that the SR50's are a PITA to work on, though.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm

dan v wrote:No problem with interchangeability of Aerox parts, although the Aerox has rear disc brake as opposed to the drum on the Zuma.

Personally, for a road racing scoot, the Zuma would not be my first choice. Better options are available, but are getting very hard to find.

Where are you located?

I agree with Dan on this one (as I do most of his advise, if not all of it!). The Aerox is nice because of the potential to use disc brakes, but the Yamaha Zuma block has limited gearing selection amongst other things. I wouldn't go with a Zuma either. Something like a Taiwan-built Minarelli style engine would do well - Eton Beemer is a good one. The Adly Silverfox, and other Adly engines are great too - the only issue that I would take with that one is it has a longer belt than most Minarelli engines.

What size tire are you going to end up with? That could influence your selection a bit.

Ciao!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Performance Garage”