Tuning 1980 Vespa p125 for the Salton Sea TT

Got performance questions or a success story? Let the world know, and push the limits of your scoot!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

raventurous

Tuning 1980 Vespa p125 for the Salton Sea TT

Postby raventurous » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 pm

I'm new, and this is my first post here, so i hope this is OK. I'm not a great mechanic, by any means, which is why I found working on the Vespa p125 I'd bought and sold several times over the last 25 years to be a daunting task. The only way I was ultimately able to get really motivated to crack into it was to enter the bike (and me) in the 320-mile Salton Sea TT...

So I wrote a little article about the race prep on my website, www.raventurous.com (specifically, http://raventurous.com/tuned-vespa-p125 ... ter-racing). I'd really love for you to check it out ant tell me what you think. I've been participating in scooter events -forever-, but both writing and racing are new to me, and I find them both a bit terrifying~.

Of course, if there's interest, I'll be sure to post up how it all turned out, with more pictures and a quick video.

Thanks for checking out my post!
Why no, I -don't- know what I'm doing... why do you ask?
www.raventurous.com
Instagram, Twitter @raventurous

rpmorrell

Postby rpmorrell » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Welcome! :D

That article was good reading, & the nice large fonts helped.
" (bigger bore, higher gearing, modified porting)… all the things a kid in his 20s would do "..... :lol: .....older kids, too, with too many decades under their belt! :lol:
It's addictive.

Looks like a great project you're doing.
Really awesome to be reunited with your old scoot.

Kind regards
Rob

raventurous

Postby raventurous » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:30 pm

rpmorrell wrote:Welcome! :D

That article was good reading, & the nice large fonts helped.
" (bigger bore, higher gearing, modified porting)… all the things a kid in his 20s would do "..... :lol: .....older kids, too, with too many decades under their belt! :lol:
It's addictive.

Looks like a great project you're doing.
Really awesome to be reunited with your old scoot.

Kind regards
Rob

Thanks for the welcome! I'm pretty stoked to have my old friend back in my life, as I really love the bike. I can definitely see how bike mods can be addictive, too; now that the Vespa has been modified, I find myself dreaming about giving it an offroad setup: knobby tires, beefed suspension, change the gearing. It's quite the rabbit-hole, huh? :P

-Raven

www.raventurous.com

rpmorrell

Postby rpmorrell » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:26 pm

An offroad scoot, YEAH! :twisted:

I think the big chunky tyres can look kinda cool. I like seeing some of the Harleys etc with the scrambler tyre look about them.
I rather like the flat track look the most.

Have you seen the TV show, Cafe Racer? Think it was 2 seasons. I was riveted to the screen!
Still available on an old PirateBay mirror https://oldpiratebay.org/search.php?q=cafe+racer

Wondering what is the suspension layout on your scoot.
My ride is a 250cc Quasar engine, & I think the rear suspension, particularly, has a goofy off-centre "shock mount" (at the "swing arm") which I want to try to modify some time.....this century, preferably! :roll:
I've got cheapy ATV gas & oil shocks on the back which transformed the ride dramtically for hard road riding.
The front needs some aftermarket forks....thinking the wreckers yard, to buy something serviceable & tunable......again, this century preferably! :roll: LOL

So many dreams so little time & energy.

Kind regards,
Rob

raventurous

Postby raventurous » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:37 am

rpmorrell wrote:An offroad scoot, YEAH! :twisted:

I think the big chunky tyres can look kinda cool. I like seeing some of the Harleys etc with the scrambler tyre look about them.
I rather like the flat track look the most.

Have you seen the TV show, Cafe Racer? Think it was 2 seasons. I was riveted to the screen!
Still available on an old PirateBay mirror https://oldpiratebay.org/search.php?q=cafe+racer

Wondering what is the suspension layout on your scoot.
My ride is a 250cc Quasar engine, & I think the rear suspension, particularly, has a goofy off-centre "shock mount" (at the "swing arm") which I want to try to modify some time.....this century, preferably! :roll:
I've got cheapy ATV gas & oil shocks on the back which transformed the ride dramtically for hard road riding.
The front needs some aftermarket forks....thinking the wreckers yard, to buy something serviceable & tunable......again, this century preferably! :roll: LOL

So many dreams so little time & energy.

Kind regards,
Rob

I'm sorry for my late reply! Somehow my other one didn't post; I must have not hit the right button. Stock suspension over here, but I'd like to consider an extended front fork. I've seen some setups that look pretty rad. You seem like a savvy guy: do you know a forum or thread that deals with offroad mods for Vespas? It's a pretty specialized arena, perfect for the internet~.

Do you have any photos of your scoot? I'd love to check it out.

www.raventurous.com

rpmorrell

Postby rpmorrell » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:54 pm

Hi hi Raven,

Sorry I've not replied sooner.....been busy with Xmas hols & http://www.woodfordfolkfestival.com

Re "forum or thread that deals with offroad mods for Vespas?" No, sorry. It's too specific & unique, I reckon, but I do recall seeing something about off-road scoot racing in the UK. Maybe some UK Google searches might find you something.

I don't have a pic handy of my scoot, but it's only a 2008 Derbi GP1 250 with the aftermarket shocks, Dr Pulley 8.5gr (approx) variator slider weights, Malossi Emulator, taller rear tyre of 130/70, short aftermarket mirrors, & a modified bling muffler as per http://www.feked.com/universal-short-motorcycle-silencer-11.html . I've mainly worked on getting the bike to handle.
Heaps of other modification ideas in my head re this scoot, but time & $$$ don't allow much to happen :roll:

Kind regards,
Rob :)

rasputin

Postby rasputin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:10 pm

I raced grasstrack and a little bit of scootercross, 10 years or so ago. They were (and still are) fun events, nothing serious. We simply put those knobby Pireli tires, and that was it. Great tires, now long gone. Nowadays, there's only one Chinese tire available (I don't know the company name) which is not half as good as the Pirelli.

If You intend to use these tires for a road-going "rat bike", or hipster scrambler, You'll regret it. On roads, they are a pain, and dangerous.

If You want to build some sort of "serious" bike... well, as serious as taking a Vespa offroads can get... firstofall, use a smallframe Vespa. They are lighter than largeframe Vespas, with a better ground clearance and weight distribution, and a more rugged engine. You can use a ZIP fork to gain more ground clearance on the front, and the longer PX rear shock absorber connection pieces to gain ground clearance at the rear. As for the engine, anything "torquey" will do. DR130, Polini exhaust, 24mm Dellorto. and the like. You'll need to cut the frame where the intake manifold enters the frame, to match the longer suspension travel and shock absorber. Reinforce the frame at the shock absorber attachment point. Have fun.

There's a couple of scootercross races in Germany, fun events. There's races in Italy, and England. A couple of guys participate at the Erzberg race since years. You'll never see them on TV because they don't qualify for the world-famous race itself. But they have fun racing the "prolog", and they are not the slowest in these 1500 people who want to qualify for the race...
You'll find the erzberg scooter guys at germanscooterforum.

r

edit: some old photos...

Return to “Scooter Performance Garage”