Cloud 9 - Areomyst's Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:02 pm

I spent the better part of the day taking the very rare luxury of working on my scooter.

So, the body panels have been kicking around for a while. My Ignitech programmable CDI has been in the toolbox for a long time also. My goal today, was to fix up my wiring harness for the new CDI, and at least get the CDI plugged in.

I got the wiring for the Ignitech sorted, but it sure was ugly. I had originally slapped this wiring harness together trying to get ready for TNG 2012. It was quick, dirty, and it has served me well over the past year.

Cleaned up a bit.

I was pretty disapointed with myself when I chipped the paint when drilling the holes for the switches. Oh well... I might make up a little plate to go there eventually.

The seat looks kind of deflated huh? I ended up taking the foam out of it. I will re-do the seat at some point - I like the seating position that I get with the foam out, but I'd like it to look half way decent as well. :)

I hope to find time to begin tuning the ignition soon. We'll see!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:49 pm

It's pretty hard to make paint stay on that floor panel, it's a different kind of plastic than the other body panels. I was wondering what the heck was going on with your seat. :lol:

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:45 am

wow! looks awesome man... did you get it to fire up with the ignitech? making a plate to cover up that paint chip should be no sweat..

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:57 am

Thanks guys.

No, I didn't get spark yet. I'm pretty sure I have to get into the software and program what input 1 does (kill switch) because it can do many things. Apparently, it even has a launch control function should I choose to set it up. The inputs can be used for switching maps on the fly, killing engine, setting a rev limit, etc etc. I'm excited to start using this thing.

I hope I can steal some time this week to mess with it. :)

~Josh

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Looks like a whole new scoot man! Great work!

Ide say a small diamond plate or something would look cool and cover that booboo. They even sell plastic stuff with an adhesive backing i think?
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:49 pm

2strokd wrote:Looks like a whole new scoot man! Great work!

Ide say a small diamond plate or something would look cool and cover that booboo. They even sell plastic stuff with an adhesive backing i think?

Thanks Robert. Yeah, I'm sure there's lots of different easy ways to fix my little mistake. I'll toy around with it after I get it up and running strong though. :)

I also want to cover up that big hole where the light goes, and the small signal things also. I haven't yet decided how I'm going to handle it. I could just put the headlight back in, but it's too much of a waste of weight - I already sacrificed a good bit of style for some weight anyway by adding the back panels and such. I want the added aerodynamics though.

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Some weight for more aero is a good trade IMO. Im sure you will fill the headlight hole with something light and creative ;)
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!

01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter

03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

waxhead

Postby waxhead » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:16 pm

Good choice on the ignitech ignition. Please post up the curve you plan on using.
I dont have a short temper just a quick reaction to bullshit. Seeya !!!
Easy on the paint, hard on the porting
Thanks to my sponsors and team mates
roost exhausts
shark leathers
sava tyres
Dr Pulley

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:14 pm

Well, I got it fired up tonight after working on client's SYM Jet Euro...

To start, I used a map from a PVL ignition, I will have to post details later as I'm retiring for the night, but I'm pleased to hear my engine run tonight - even if it ran at quite a high idle. :)

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:52 pm

Before and during the programming of my ignition. I was unable to finish that night, or I would have gotten better overrev out of this thing...

I have seen 15 HP out of this setup before, and power was down from that, clearly. I was working on the map when I had to stop... As I was working on the ignition map, a broken reed halted progress. I suspect that the reed was failing and causing a drop in power. The crankshaft bearings were worn as well...

I replaced the reed petals, and crankshaft bearings late last week, but didn't take good time to document the progress. I took a few photos though. I also ported my reed block in hopes of a bit more power.

I was hoping to build a new engine up (have a few parts) but won't be able to get them in before TNG. I hope to find the time to get the new parts installed shortly after that.

I counted today, I have 25 scooters in the shop. I think this is a new record for October! Busy busy...

Some photos:

One of the maps I tried.

The reed petal that stopped my fun.

Some porting on the reed block. I hope it makes a noticeable difference. If it does, I may go back and do up one of my spare blocks a little bit nicer.

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Engine out.

Engine apart, getting new crankshaft bearings.

Truing crankshaft. Got it within .003"... Still well within factory spec, but I would have liked .0015". Didn't have all the time in the world to work with it though.

Heating the crankcase half on a hot plate in order to expand the metal enough to easily install the bearing. Yeah, my cases are dirty and unprofessional. Sorry. I was just trying to get the job finished that night. :)

And on to the leak down pressure test! I found a leak at the oil pump. The pump is disabled, but I haven't taken time to make a proper block-off yet. I replaced the vacuum caps, and all was well. I also had to add a little sealant on my inlet manifold.

Cheers!

~Josh

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:31 am

Updates 8)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:30 am

It's in the corner of the storage trailer, waiting for me. :P I'm going to work on it tonight, get it fired back up, and then do some dyno tuning tomorrow and perhaps Wednesday.

I'll post up some more when I get the chance to do more work. It's really down to the wire this time around! I'm a bit behind at work, so I spend a lot of time trying to catch up, and not enough time on my sprinter. :)

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:07 pm

When 190mech made the exhaust for me, I just bought the cheapest silencer I could find to go on it. It was a blue color, and I've always disliked it on my scooter, because it didn't match anything. I removed the blue, and polished up the silencer a bit. It's far from perfect, but I like it a lot better. I also cleaned the rust off of the exhaust. I'm ashamed that I let it get that bad!

Too many wires... I'm hooking up the AIM e-box for the Mychron 4 data logger.

Here is the speed sensor mounting. I wanted to put it on the front wheel, but it was a little easier to put it on the rear for now.

It runs!

It runs, into the dyno that is... :( Damnit, didn't even race it with the fresh rebuild and I got a big scratch on my new paint. Oh well.

So, I have one more day to do any prep work to this before Twist and Gone...

~Josh

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 am

:lol: don't let that thing get away from you now!... sorry you scratched your paint though...

Return to “Scooter Showroom”