Cloud 9 - Areomyst's Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

190mech

Postby 190mech » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:24 pm

Looks real good Josh!A new head design will likely give it a nice boost,The RSA125 style chamber is a proven design..Spacing the cylinder up will get your durations a bit 'hotter' and a step cut head to get back the squish.
The piston/bridge cooling holes are a great idea too..The transfer port roof angles play a big part of better power also.Just my 2 cents worth!Keep us posted!!
John

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:30 am

I had to go see my buddy Mike yesterday for scooter-related business. I didn't stay long (had too much work to do) but he showed me the progress on the bodywork for the Super 9. :)

There's a big race coming up on the 18th of next month where a lot of powersports related machines will be competing. I heard there will be minibikes, lots of ATV's, and even some fast scooters from Georgia. I hope to have the bike on the prettier side by then.

I also changed the handlebars and took the foam off the seat. It looks a lot uglier, but it really seems to help with my position on the bike - I can get a much better tuck this way. I have some concerns with the bars set up like this, and it looks goofy but I'm going to try it. The bars were free (Thanks DanielO.!) so if it's too unstable or whatever it won't sting. The nose cone was installed just to make sure the bars cleared the bodywork.

I got a programmable ignition for my birthday (January) but haven't had a chance to play with it. I want to cut a new head first, since I'm sure combustion will be a lot different between the two heads, and I don't want to spend all the time to write a map only to have to start from scratch. :)

I switched from a Dr. Pulley HIT clutch to a Stage 6 torque control. I haven't retired the HiT, as it has served me well, but I don't like that I can't buy replacement parts for a $270 clutch! I can get every component of the torque control if I ever manage to break anything. :)

I'm still hanging out around the 15HP mark for now. It's hard to find the time to tune my scooter when there's so much more work to be done. :)

Cheers!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:48 am

Well, the body work is all finished and I have to install it. I got a set of racing slicks for the bike, and I think I'm going to do some horse trading with Daniel and get the wheels powdercoated.

I'm on the lookout for a different set of handlebars, but I intend to use the others ones (the price was right!) for a little while anyway.

The big race is on the 18th of next month, so we'll see how it goes. :)

~Josh

fucky

Postby fucky » Fri May 03, 2013 6:45 am

Hi, I'm really impressed ! I follow carefully your project and I' am trying to apply what I have learned on my kymco super 9 lc. I have only one question for you: are you using the original crankshaft ??

see you soon and sorry for my bad english :D

Massimo.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri May 03, 2013 7:30 am

Hi Massimo,

Yeah, I'm still using the original crankshaft. I've had it up over 13,000 RPM and it hasn't failed yet. I punish it often on the dyno and on the drag strip, but it really only runs WOT for 1/8 mile at a time.

If I had to do it over, (I eventually will) I would put longer connecting rod on the crank, and use a Minarelli cylinder. At the time, doing it the way I did was cheaper (I'm somewhat of a budget tuner). In the long run though, it's a headache as far as replacement parts go, because you have to machine things to fit. I'm still experimenting with this cylinder, and trying different port configurations. I can surely say I've gotten my money's worth from this free cylinder. :)

I'll be pulling the bike out of storage for next week's Test and Tune in Roxboro, and the week following as well. It should go well enough. I have lots that I'd like to do before a race on the 18th, but I'm not all sure what I'll have time to get done. :) Hopefully I can play with my ignition a bit!

Welcome to the forum!

Best,

~Josh

fucky

Postby fucky » Sat May 04, 2013 7:54 am

Perfect, thank you for the information :) . Keep updated this topic, maybe even inserting new images and new video because it's all very interesting :D. However, probably I will change the crankshaft because it has 20000 km and I dont want take any risks because I will use my Kymco Super 9 this summer and I will go to several km. You suggest some crankshaft in particular?. I just purchased the 70cc engine Airsal in Italy for 150 euro :D what do you think about this engine (without your changes :D )? which do you choose between the MALOSSI and the AIRSAL? :D

p.s. Thanks for the welcome :)

BYE

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat May 04, 2013 10:54 pm

fucky wrote:Perfect, thank you for the information :) . Keep updated this topic, maybe even inserting new images and new video because it's all very interesting :D. However, probably I will change the crankshaft because it has 20000 km and I dont want take any risks because I will use my Kymco Super 9 this summer and I will go to several km. You suggest some crankshaft in particular?. I just purchased the 70cc engine Airsal in Italy for 150 euro :D what do you think about this engine (without your changes :D )? which do you choose between the MALOSSI and the AIRSAL? :D

p.s. Thanks for the welcome :)

BYE

I'll have some new information up in the next few weeks. Daniel's going to fix up my wheels with some fresh powdercoat and I'll mount the slicks.

It's probably a good idea to change cranks. I have heard that the Top Performances crankshafts are excellent, but to my knowledge a real "performance" crank is not readily available for the Super 9. No worries though, the stock crankshafts are pretty strong.

Nice price on your Airsal cylinder! Good job. :)

Between the Malossi and Airsal, I prefer the Airsal because it is aluminum, and has the larger "bridged" exhaust. The transfer durations are awful high on these cylinders, but perhaps I got a couple that were out of the norm. If I were to do it all over again though, I would definitely mount a Minarelli cylinder with a different connecting rod on the crankshaft. The stock Airsal doesn't do bad, and over the stock 50cc engine I think you'll probably like it. I am racing my scooter and it lives in the 1/8 mile, so I don't have to worry too much if it breaks.

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue May 14, 2013 9:16 pm

Nothing major, but I'm going out tomorrow night to a Test and Tune, so wanted to make a few small changes. I still haven't gotten the body work back on the bike yet. I mounted a race slick to the rear of the bike. I did a short burnout, and it seems like it's going to stick a lot better than my old Michelin that I had on there. I guess we'll see tomorrow.

~Josh

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Wed May 15, 2013 8:01 am

That rear tire sure has a tall shoulder! Is that a new case cover I see?

ottoman

Postby ottoman » Thu May 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Well how did the test an tune go?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu May 16, 2013 10:08 pm

Aw man, I don't even want to talk about it. :P We drove an hour to get to the track, only to find the gates locked! We were all pretty torqued off about that... I was hoping to see something in the high 9's this time around too. To make matters even worse, the forecast for Saturday's big race is thunderstorms. :( Not good news for racers man.

A buddy of mine came with, and has a 125cc 2-stroke Ruckus that he's just dying to get tuned in. Last night was going to be his first time drag racing, and it was going to be fun to see how he did, and try and help him along. :)

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

scootertrog wrote:That rear tire sure has a tall shoulder! Is that a new case cover I see?

Indeed it is sir! The old one broke, and I haven't had time to pretty this one up yet. :( I use kick start only, and broke the cover on the dyno when I was starting it one day. Daniel O has the cover in his scrap aluminum bucket, ready to be melted and turned into something useful at his home made foundry. :)

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:25 am

It's getting down to the wire to get setup for Twist N Gone. I have a few new parts coming in, not sure if I'll get them all installed and tuned in before the race...

I was digging through some of my old photos (trying to find some specific pics for the forum) and realized I had some photos I didn't post up yet of the sprinter.

I installed a set of race slicks, and then got a Chinese ATV fuel tank in effort to reduce the weight a little, as well as keep a smaller amount of fuel onboard. With the OEM tank, I was getting a good bit of fuel in the bottom of the tank that wasn't getting used. Not a big deal when you're filling up often on a road bike, but with the racer I'm using expensive fuel. The bike isn't run enough to keep the fuel in the tank fresh.

Of course, what weight savings I get, I'm going to gain back when I install the body panels. Oh well.

~Josh

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:20 am

Looking good!
It all adds up to about 10lb=1/10th
Every bit helps. Those tires are light too, with loads more bight ;)
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:16 am

Thanks Robert. :)

I wanted to work on the bike some this weekend, but ended up cleaning out the storage container instead. I hung up all my body panels so they wouldn't be on the floor though. Hopefully I can fine time to get them installed so that my scooter doesn't look like such a pile.

I've got some new plans for a fresh engine build. We'll see how it goes, and what kind of parts I can scrounge up. As usual, I'm doing the "bargain busters" hunt for parts. :P

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Showroom”