Cloud 9 - Areomyst's Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

Areomyst
Site Admin

Cloud 9 - Areomyst's Super 9 Project (TSG Tuned)

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:52 am

I picked up a Super 9 a little while back, and sold my Chinese bike. I've pretty much lost the love for "Marshin" anymore. The old ones could be okay, but really all of the components were very poorly made, and you could even feel the frame flex under your feet as you used the front brake. I had it looking okay, but I really wanted a REAL scooter to tune, and my Vespa is going to take gobs of money to complete.

The Super 9 runs, but it needs some love. As usual, I'm on a tighter budget that I would like to be. Here's the plan:

Performance
+ Tuned Malossi Sport Cast-i cylinder (I will be testing Walter's programs on this cylinder)
+ Kymco carters will be tuned to match the cylinder.
+ Del'Orto 19mm Carburetor
+ Tecnomoto Variator
+ Malossi Torque Driver
+ Tecnigas RS-II exhaust - I don't have much cash, so buying a high end Minarelli exhaust and modifying it to fit isn't an option to me. I'm open for other options though... Many people use the Tecnigas, and I want mine to be different. I would have to get help modifying an exhaust as I don't have any of the equipment.

Style
+ Custom paint. I haven't decided on color yet, but I think I want the floorboard and leg shield to be white. Still deciding on the rest, but leaning towards a green.
+ Polished water pump cover and powder coated flywheel (5HP gain there!)
+ Rear mud flap removal
+ Different handle grips
+ Polished CVT cover

Other goodies that will have to wait until I get my garage finished!
+ Powder coated wheels, front forks, rear shock spring, etc.
+ Custom inlet manifold
+ Coated block

Repairs and Maintenance to be done
+ Bodywork where bike was laid down
+ LOTS of cleaning up!
+ New crankshaft bearings
+ Rebuild water pump (the mechanical seal I need is on back order...)
+ Rear tire isn't seated completely and slowly leaks air. I'm going to break the bead and reseat it. Hopefully I won't have to replace it, since both tires are Pirelli.

Photos of the bike as-is

The other side is a little uglier...

Front disk brakes.

The black plastics are pretty badly faded, which is why I'm going to paint them. A friend of mine is helping with recommendations on what to use since the floorboard is going to see a lot of wear and tear.

Here's the water pump. Some fancy design will be cut into it and then it'll be polished.

The rear disk brake. :)

It's got a few miles on it. :P

I have the new crankshaft bearings and seals. That will have to be the first step before beginning other modifications. I'm thinking a how-to guide might be in order!

My goal with the whole thing is to have a powerful, but reliable machine for street use. I'm going to use to stock airbox. I'm also trying to keep the whole thing on as low a budget as I can. I don't expect this project to take decades to complete either - updates should come at least once a week.

Cheers!

~Josh
Last edited by Areomyst on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikal

Postby mikal » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:11 am

Keep your eyes open for a used pipe. Used stuff isn't selling right
now, so you should be able to find a descent deal.

It looks like a good start for a nice bike. The chance to make one custom
for little money is great. Body work, paint, and you've got a nice new looking
one of a kind bike.

Roy(I think a member here)has the same bike.
Good intensions, poor results.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Mikal!

I'll keep my eyes open for a used pipe. I hate to say it, but I'm actually wondering if I should try the "High Quality" version of the Turbokit exhaust. The one I had on my 50cc bike performed really well. They appear to be partially hydroformed, which is neat. Also, everyone else has the Tecnigas, and I want mine to be a bit different. :) No, these exhausts are not Yasuni, but they're better than stock...

~Josh

Big B NRG

Postby Big B NRG » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:56 pm

Looking foward to the end result Josh! Maybe you can fabricate your own exhaust? First one won't be perfect, but you learn from it and you can have a couple of try's.

Sheetmetal isn't that expensive and you can draw all the cones out on the metal before cutting and welding :)
Will build someday again!

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:07 pm

Big B NRG wrote:Looking foward to the end result Josh! Maybe you can fabricate your own exhaust? First one won't be perfect, but you learn from it and you can have a couple of try's.

Sheetmetal isn't that expensive and you can draw all the cones out on the metal before cutting and welding :)

Getting the metal won't be a problem, but I've heard that TIG welding is the best route to take with making exhausts. I have access to a MIG welder (from work) and my arc welder requires 220 volts, which I don't have in my garage yet. I'd like to take a welding class, but I can't fit it into my schedule. I've tried, and it would put me getting to work about an hour and a half to two hours late! :(

You've got a point though Bram. If I REALLY want something different, I could try one of my own. I'm afraid it's not something that I'm ready to do yet, but I'm slowly getting there! :D

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:54 pm

I removed all the bodywork tonight. My next step, is to remove the engine.

A friend of mine gave me a spare nose cone and leg shield. I'm going to use the nose cone because it's less damaged than mine.

The dinged up panel.

I had to remove the front wheel to take this piece off.

It looks like I should replace the wheel seals also. Notice all the grease on the wheel?

I'm quite pleased that I have good tires on the bike. There are certainly enough other things that I'm going to have to replace!

I'm running out of room!

Looks like a sprinter now! I'm anxious to get the engine out and start on it.

Here are the new crankshaft bearings and parts to rebuild the water pump. If the mechanical seal that I need for the water pump takes too long to get here, I may see about switching to an electric pump, which might be fun! It would squeeze a little more performance out of my engine I believe. I'll try to find out about the seal this week. When I take the pump apart, It'll be easier to explain what seal I need. :)

~Josh

tifosiscooter

Postby tifosiscooter » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:19 pm

cool project !!!

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:11 pm

tifosiscooter wrote:cool project !!!

Thanks. :)

One other thing that I am thinking of doing (but forgot to mention) is connecting the oil tank and fuel tank together so it can all be used for fuel. I figure a few fittings and rubber washers and I should be able to do it, but I'm not sure... I have to look into it a little further. Since I'll be pre-mixing my gas and oil anyway there's no reason for the oil tank... I may as well give it a shot.

I've got access to a Motion Pro crankcase puller at work, which is what I usually use, but I think I'm going to like this one better, so I ordered it:

I also need to remember to bring my blind bearing extractor home!

~Josh

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:35 pm

Josh - you will be better off using a Malossi Variator if you are going to use the Malossi Torque Drive pulley. I've tried the combo you are looking at right now, the Malossi variator will work better.
If memory serves me correctly, the carter will be larger than the porting on the cylinder, by quite a bit. The s9 case is very clean to start with, with a robust crank as well.
I'll be watching this project with particulair interest. :D

scootertrog

Big B NRG

Postby Big B NRG » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:02 am

Areomyst wrote:
Big B NRG wrote:Looking foward to the end result Josh! Maybe you can fabricate your own exhaust? First one won't be perfect, but you learn from it and you can have a couple of try's.

Getting the metal won't be a problem, but I've heard that TIG welding is the best route to take with making exhausts. I have access to a MIG welder (from work) and my arc welder requires 220 volts, which I don't have in my garage yet. I'd like to take a welding class, but I can't fit it into my schedule. I've tried, and it would put me getting to work about an hour and a half to two hours late! :(

You've got a point though Bram. If I REALLY want something different, I could try one of my own. I'm afraid it's not something that I'm ready to do yet, but I'm slowly getting there! :D

~Josh

Another option is to hard solder your exhaust. That will take some time, but you can work step by step and there's not really a rush right :P

Rome wassn't build in one day either ;)
Will build someday again!

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:51 am

scootertrog wrote:Josh - you will be better off using a Malossi Variator if you are going to use the Malossi Torque Drive pulley. I've tried the combo you are looking at right now, the Malossi variator will work better.
If memory serves me correctly, the carter will be larger than the porting on the cylinder, by quite a bit. The s9 case is very clean to start with, with a robust crank as well.

scootertrog

Thanks for the heads up! I like the Technomoto because it's a bit more for the money, as it comes with different sets of rollers and the Malossi only comes with bogus 9 gram ones that don't get used much. I'll change out to the Malossi. I haven't ordered the variator yet. :)

You're dead on about the cylinder and cases. The transfer tunnels are much smaller on this cylinder than I'd expect. I'll post detailed photos when I get the chance. I have to also agree on the crankshaft. The Kymco engines use some of the strongest OEM cranks that I've seen!

Cheers!

~Josh

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:13 am

Areomyst wrote:
scootertrog wrote:Josh - you will be better off using a Malossi Variator if you are going to use the Malossi Torque Drive pulley. I've tried the combo you are looking at right now, the Malossi variator will work better.

scootertrog

Thanks for the heads up! I like the Technomoto because it's a bit more for the money, as it comes with different sets of rollers and the Malossi only comes with bogus 9 gram ones that don't get used much. I'll change out to the Malossi. I haven't ordered the variator yet. :)

You're dead on about the cylinder and cases. The transfer tunnels are much smaller on this cylinder than I'd expect. I'll post detailed photos when I get the chance. I have to also agree on the crankshaft. The Kymco engines use some of the strongest OEM cranks that I've seen!

Cheers!

~Josh

I agree, the Tecnomoto is a great value, but in your case with wanting to use the Malossi TD - go with the Malossi variator. If you were not going to use the Malossi TD, then I'd go with the Tecnomoto by all means.
The big snag in all this with the s9 is the intake manifold. I was lucky enough to acquire a 20mm unit and it had room to open/shape. The next step would be to fabricate an adapter wedge plate and use a Piaggio intake manifold, ditching the snake-like intake altogether. I'll post up a photo of this tonight. :D

scootertrog

4SEVEN3

Postby 4SEVEN3 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:19 pm

Are you keeping the floorboard balck??? If so, and you were going to fefurbish it Id do it in a truck bed liner type spray. Ive used the Duplicolor bed spray on a belly pan on my F650GS and it turned out awesome!

By varying the spray distance you can get a rough or smoother finish. I think I have some left over if you would like to try spraying it on something.
"Farmer"
2005 Piaggio Typhoon

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:48 pm

Here are a couple ways to get around the OEM intake manifold:
and

Both ideas courtesy of some German s9 tuners - unknown origin, I just found it scouring the net. :D

scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:56 pm

4SEVEN3 wrote:Are you keeping the floorboard balck??? If so, and you were going to fefurbish it Id do it in a truck bed liner type spray. Ive used the Duplicolor bed spray on a belly pan on my F650GS and it turned out awesome!

By varying the spray distance you can get a rough or smoother finish. I think I have some left over if you would like to try spraying it on something.

I was planning on doing white, but that may be difficult. It might be worth a shot to spray some on and see what I think of it! I've got a few spare panels, so it wouldn't hurt. :) Mebby you can swing by on Sunday or Monday and take a look.

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Showroom”