My Malaguti F-10

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Mon May 31, 2010 8:23 pm

F10Pilot wrote:Have run over 12,000rpm briefly but the 17.5mm carb is out of lungs up there. I definitely have power to pull taller gearing though.

You better consider biger disc and caliper....You will need better braking, also a stainless steel braided hose.

Your scooter is looking great!, keep the good work.
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Mon May 31, 2010 8:56 pm

You better consider biger disc and caliper....You will need better braking, also a stainless steel braided hose.

Your scooter is looking great!, keep the good work.

Well the front brake already has a braided steel line. I installed the slotted MHR rear brake shoes and a new rear cable so that's as good as it's going to get. My front pads are almost gone, but I have brand new MHR front pads to install and I got fluid to flush it out once I get a chance.

It would be great to have a better fork and brakes but I've got very small wheels so can't go too huge. I'm hoping some heavier weight fork oil and the new brake pads will do the job...once I get a rainy weekend to pull it apart. :)

Going to be looking for some tires pretty soon also...

Thanks for the advice! I know I need to improve the suspension and brakes before I make it much faster!!
Malaguti F10 - Flies like a butterfly - Sounds like a bee.

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Mon May 31, 2010 9:24 pm

F10Pilot wrote:I have brand new MHR front pads to install and I got fluid to flush it out once I get a chance.

I don't know if this was "bad luck" or not but I installed a set of Malossi MHR disc brakes into a friend's modified BWS 100 two weeks before a track day and after 4 laps the brakes got so hot he almost loose his brakes, we raplace the pads for OEM Yamaha pads and fixed the problem, we later get a set of Carbone-Lorraine racing compound and they are THE BEST!, I have also used Ferodo and those are good, I didn't like the MHR's.

F10Pilot wrote:It would be great to have a better fork and brakes but I've got very small wheels so can't go too huge.

What's the size of your wheels?
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:22 pm

What's the size of your wheels?

It has 10" wheels with a 3.50/10 or 100.80.10 size tire. I had a Michelin S1 that was a good tire so may get those.

The brake pads I got are the 62-9088 MHR Sport Pads

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/M629082/Brake+pads+MHR+MALOSSI.aspx

Not the MHR "Race" sintered metal pads here...

http://www.sip-scootershop.com/EN/Products/M6212176/Brake+pads+MHR+SYNT+MALOSSI.aspx

I was really hoping they would be good because my disc is so small...thought they might bite better, I hope they aren't the same ones you had because my front brake is a hard working little fellow.

I don't think I would even try to fit bigger wheels but a bigger brake would be nice. I like the agility and scooter feeling of the small wheels just want to get better tires and braking...and then I'll want more speed! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice and help! I really appreciate it!

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:47 pm

F10Pilot wrote:
It has 10" wheels with a 3.50/10 or 100.80.10 size tire. I had a Michelin S1 that was a good tire so may get those.

The brake pads I got are the 62-9088 MHR Sport Pads

Not the MHR "Race" sintered metal pads here...

I was really hoping they would be good because my disc is so small...thought they might bite better, I hope they aren't the same ones you had because my front brake is a hard working little fellow.

I don't think I would even try to fit bigger wheels but a bigger brake would be nice. I like the agility and scooter feeling of the small wheels just want to get better tires and braking...and then I'll want more speed! :lol:

Thanks for all the advice and help! I really appreciate it!

I hope the pads You got are O.K. for You.

Maybe You can install a bigger disck and a 4 pot caliper without the need of changing your wheels....May need some RD but it can be done.

Regards,

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:14 pm

Maybe You can install a bigger disck and a 4 pot caliper without the need of changing your wheels....May need some RD but it can be done.

The big brake kits cost $$$ but SIP has tons of disks in whatever sizes you want for about $70. Then I saw this caliper on EBAY -

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350338496261&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

I'm not sure it will work though, see how it has 2 red caps? I'm going to read up on how it works, I think maybe the reflex has "dual braking" or something.

I also worry that this caliper with a 200mm disk could shear my fork tubes off easily in a panic stop. I really like the upside down forks on Typhoons, might look into a used Typhoon front end from the UK.

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm

F10Pilot wrote:The big brake kits cost $$$ but SIP has tons of disks in whatever sizes you want for about $70. Then I saw this caliper on EBAY -

I'm not sure it will work though, see how it has 2 red caps? I'm going to read up on how it works, I think maybe the reflex has "dual braking" or something.

I also worry that this caliper with a 200mm disk could shear my fork tubes off easily in a panic stop. I really like the upside down forks on Typhoons, might look into a used Typhoon front end from the UK.

If a "plug & play" kit is very expensive, You can try to build a custom brake kit buying your parts where You find best prices, It isn't hard to do.

Regards

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:49 am

Well it looks like that Nissin caliper is setup for ABS so maybe too complicated. It also looks like the caliper sits quite a ways inside my wheel so without a bigger wheel, bigger brakes aren't going to fit.

I do have a good caliper already though, it's a Gremica - same size used on 125 runners I think so should be fine...need bigger disk!

Also still working on my jetting. I have some bogging down low and I know the 101 main 38 pilot - 1 notch rich needle is too rich, everywhere, but it's good and safe.

Was reading up and found this guide - thought I would share. I'm going to see if I can get a little closer to the edge without melting anything per the Spanky Guide :?

http://maxpower-engines.com/technical-database/spankys-jetting-guide.html

lidest

Postby lidest » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:00 am

Malaguti Phantom F12 LC Polini Evolution 1 Ex-Malaguti Phantom F12 LC Malossi MHR Team 6T

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:16 am

Thanks Lidest!!

This is very helpful! I was wondering if I could space a bigger disk closer to the fork tube so the caliper would clear the wheel.

Looks like you got it working and looking good. Great work on your bike, thanks for the help with mine :D

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:50 pm

F10 Pilot:

You can get a Brembo caliper just like that Grimeca, brand new for less then $100.00 Usd., check BOWLS site..You won't believe how good that 2 pot caliper brakes!!

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:39 pm

:) Looking at the pics from lidest I think this could be done on the cheap..

He seems to be running a 180-190mm disk with the stock grimeca caliper and a simple adapter plate. The stock caliper is good I think just needs more leverage (bigger disk)

I'm going to order a 180mm disk when I can and see what can be done but my car needs a pile of stuff (at repair shop now) so scooter funds are toast both for modding or a second 4t scoot.

Did get my jetting better though. Lowered the needle a notch and went down to a 98 main. Much better throttle response and extra 500rpm max but sounds lean off throttle again not sure this can be cured.

Also looking for a softer contra spring. The red one is too stiff to shift up all the way so I might try a yellow one. The scooter budget can handle a contra spring I think. :)

<Edit>

Here's some interesting pictures...

My old front brake pads :shock:

So that explained the lack of front braking power. The stock caliper is a 2 piston and takes big 40mm wide pads. It's adequate with the new pads but could use more leverage.

Here's the "TurboMax" variator it had when I bought it.

It's an interesting design but I didn't care for it. You can see the bushings get worn in the middle the same as regular rollers flat spot. There seem to be no teeth in the backing plate...not sure how that's supposed to work.

This is a shock riser that I bought but doesn't really fit the short case. I'd sell it for $20 plus shipping. Same as I paid for it. :?

I also switched from ProHonda 2t (cheap stuff) to Amsoil HP synthetic. I like the big neck on the bottle...think I could carry an extra 2 or 3 quarts of gas under the seat in Amsoil bottles. :)

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:55 pm

Thought I would pimp an update as I've been busy lately.

Here's what my Yasuni pipe looks like now :cry:

This is what got it...I went back the next day and took pictures but haven't sued the city or anything, seems like my low and non road legal pipe are probably contributory negligence...

Still a huge pipe sticking up in the road sucks. It was night time, cars coming the other way, had my shield down, no signs whatsoever. Ripped the flange right out of the cylinder, squashed the header almost flat, and generally tweaked the pipe a few inches to the left.

I was able to tap the cylinder to M7x1 bolts and got my RS welded up so I'm running. The technigas leaks and is loud but it does sound completely rockstar and I'm riding again.

Not sure what to do with the Yasuni though...I may try to cut it, beat the dents out, and weld it back up. I'm super disappointed though...it really bummed me out about the scooter for awhile. The C16 was like the best part of my scoot.

Anyway...I'm either going to repair the Yasuni or I might try one of the Hebo Performer pipes.

190mech

Postby 190mech » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:09 pm

I can fix that pipe,the repair section will be rolled cones ,not hydroformed.
will perform as good or better then before.PM me if I can help!

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:53 pm

It's a shame that you destroy your pipe...sorry to see that, You can fix it very easy just look for a muffler repair shop and get a piece of bent tube, time ago I fixed a pipe this way:

Regards,

Return to “Scooter Showroom”