My Malaguti F-10

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

F10Pilot

My Malaguti F-10

Postby F10Pilot » Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:11 pm

Hello from Maine USA -

This story really starts a long time ago...

That's a middle east market Honda Dio that I bought for $300. I was never allowed to take it off the base camp but that scooter was freedom to me anyway, which is something people still die for believe it or not.

Obviously low ranking folks motoring around camp strapped with M16s and wearing their PT uniforms was not to last long and private vehicle ownership was banned after a couple months.

I was going to ship or smuggle the scooter home but it cost $600. or I could stick it in a container and hope I didn't end up in Leavenworth or delay my whole unit's homecoming. Left the scooter in Iraq.

I wanted to buy another Dio just like it when I came home. Not a Zuma, or an SR50. Not an R6 or cruiser. A Dio.

Not happening in Maine. So I shopped around - had to have a 2t scooter as similar to a Dio as I could find. I almost bought a 100cc Triton reg'd as a 50 then I found the F10 on ebay.

I had no idea that I couldn't buy another Dio here, I kind of assumed I could get something better even when I left it. One can't just walk into a dealer and buy a Dio, an F12r or an Aerox in the U.S. - Thus I am an F10 pilot.

I think Malaguti kills the F10 on their website by saying its good for girls because the seat is low. Both are mostly true, it's also very light, narrow, and short. Think the frontal cross section of a Ruckus but with a much more aero shape.

Here's the photos from the auction when I bought it.

It had a ported charmo 70cc, 17.5 dellorto, Technigas RS pipe, bitubo shock, and a turbokit variator << (junk) all which were already installed when I bought it. I think they guy I bought it from was a cop or prison guard- had a cop plate maybe he got it at a police auction?

I installed a cup holder for my coffee, chopped the rear fender, and created some graphics for a race scooter look.

The graphics were mostly an experiment in vinyl production so I will use the same technique to do a dragon or ninja graphics theme when I get around to it. (This did not work and I'm now digging the stealthy flat black)

My plan was to enjoy as is for the summer, hopefully get the tranny tuned in and do some engine mods over the long Maine winter.

Added 3/10 - The crappy decals I made were kind of a joke anyway and didn't last long. Otherwise I rode the wheels off it for a couple summers and didn't have much cash for upgrades because of life going on off the scooter. (life and death actually- don't ask. sucked.)

So...Update. Got a little drag race challenge and the char-mo was set up a little screwy, few bucks to work with so got some parts.

Needs a washing for sure. Should probably save the scootercrossing for when I buy a ruckus. (that's prob. what broke my fuel sender: see below)

As you can see I don't have any special tools or anything. Outside of the pressed in bearings I could pretty much strip the whole bike with my carrying tool kit. Allens, multi screwdriver, 3 wrenches. (actually 4 and some other items)

Nothing to get too excited about but building up with inexpensive parts that any monkey can get decent performance out of.

I'll try to add some better pictures once I can give it a wash and install my next round of parts. Maybe some video if I can figure out a way to mount my phone.

Getting a little faster as I can afford better pieces and learning more as I make mistakes with things so getting more and more speed out of what I have.

So far -

02 Malaguti F10 - $950. drove 300 miles to pickup
Technigas RS - included
Dellorto 17.5 -included
Malossi Delta -included
Bitubo Shock -included
Motoforce Crank - $150
SKF Bearings - $40.
Athena Vario - $60.
Stage6 Pro AC - $150.
Malossi Air Element- $10.
Gates Prem Belt -$40.
Stage6 Temp/Tach -$120.
Misc. Jets,rollers,springs,etc. -$100.

Just for comparison - that Dio was pretty tired so I'm sure it needed EVERYTHING. The Malaguti is much nicer no doubt and tough to beat bang for buck wise. I'm going to have another Dio someday, but I'll ride this one until then. Dio means freedom in Arabic.

A few more pieces have arrived from Germany. The exchange rate rocks right now (maybe because of Greece) - I might order a pipe from over there soon :)

Not sure how I will work out the temp sending. I have the AC adapter but the gauge only reads to 230f. Not sure how I'm going to address this.

Also my fuel gauge has been hosed for awhile so I got out the tester and tracked it down to a tiny wire inside the sending unit. You can see where it broke from the soldered point and was now too short to reattach.

So rather than trying to cross reference jog/vino fuel tank senders or ordering an OEM one from Italy I soldered in this terminal to reach the wire.

No commentary on my ghetto soldering please - I'm aware of the weakness of my kung-fu. :lol:

The important part is that it works perfectly now. I'm not even going to issue a warning for others who might be too cheap to buy a new sender about putting out cigarettes before pulling the sender out or letting the gas dry off before hitting it with the soldering iron.

Hopefully there won't be any funny reactions with the gas and rosin from the solder or anything and the wire will hold up awhile.

Went out looking for America today, and testing the reliability of my new items. Got the scooter washed by some kids at the 7-11, not the best washing for $10 donation but kids gotta go to camp.

All steak burgers, hand cut crinkle fries, ice cream, mini golf, and Malaguti. Was a pretty good day. About 75 miles in great weather.

Alas all good ideas aren't good. My Technigas was bent and or doesn't fit the Malaguti quite right. It had taken a beating from the PO when he bottomed it hard with his wife on the back. Had a big flat spot on the bottom and numerous dents I added off roading like an idiot.

Anywho...yes it's still bolted at the flange and yes also dragging on the ground. I wanted a pipe with a separate flange and now my RS has one. :(

No fault of Technigas at all. I was actually pretty happy with the pipe despite its dents it would pull over 11000rpm - It didn't fit right so I made spacers to fit it which came loose, bolts fell out, I was going 50mph and didn't notice until it got loud and the pipe hit the tarmac.

New pipe is on the way - I'll post an update in 4 days when it's supposed to arrive.
Last edited by F10Pilot on Sun May 02, 2010 11:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.

tifosiscooter

Postby tifosiscooter » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:54 am

how fast does she go w/ the 70cc kit...

StepVino

Postby StepVino » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:40 am

The BMW? :P

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:25 pm

You need the RH side mirror, it looks out of balance with just one. :D

scootertrog

JCmotorsports

Postby JCmotorsports » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:08 am

Uh,did you take a pic of a bmw dealership?
I sell all types of high performance parts for the best prices,email me at jc198650@yahoo.com for quotes-I WONT BE UNDERSOLD!!!

OveRReV

Postby OveRReV » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 am

the Malaguti F10 is very similar to the Yamaha Jog ER (asian model), the difference mainly is in the fairings & frame but everything else is the same, tuning parts are very plentiful & you can covert it to LC with some mods to the body & frame but the engine is direct bolt-ons.

you got a very nice scooter there. :D
Overrev Tuning

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:34 pm

Overdue reply with update...

Scooter does low 60s

Bimmer went 130 but has miles now so I'm not going to try it again

Did take pics of my car at the dealer. Family reunion photo.

F10 is just like a Jog engine - but better wheels and brakes, better bodywork, made in Italy stickers, Ducati ignition. -

It's still not a Dio.
Malaguti F10 - Flies like a butterfly - Sounds like a bee.

sanjuro62

Postby sanjuro62 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

I feel for you on the Dio man.

It is my favorite scooter by a large margin.

Here's mine:

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:33 pm

Nice malaguti f 10.
2003 Aprilia sr 50 ditech Autism edition
1999 Derbi Mathattan Hunter

Sold
2001 Honda Elite Sa
2004 Yamaha Zuma
1979 Honda pa 50 1

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks Timmy.

Almost bought an SR50 also. There's an Aprilia dealer in town and I like the ditech, wish you could get those dellorto electronic engine management systems aftermarket for scooters.

Maybe the Aprilia/Piaggio scoots will be a bit cheaper with the euro getting beat down.

Timmy

Postby Timmy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:31 pm

F10Pilot wrote:Thanks Timmy.

Almost bought an SR50 also. There's an Aprilia dealer in town and I like the ditech, wish you could get those dellorto electronic engine management systems aftermarket for scooters.

Maybe the Aprilia/Piaggio scoots will be a bit cheaper with the euro getting beat down.

Kind of like a powercommander almost but it would be nice. But i got so much into money into my sr that it might hurt it's value of the scoot.
2003 Aprilia sr 50 ditech Autism edition
1999 Derbi Mathattan Hunter

Sold
2001 Honda Elite Sa
2004 Yamaha Zuma
1979 Honda pa 50 1

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Fri May 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Hey everybody - Here's my latest. :lol:

I too was concerned about being unbalanced looking with only 1 mirror so I got these sweet Koso Blade CF mirrors. I think they look a little wonky being so tall and they don't stick out far enough but at least I have 2 now. :)

When I get a box of parts I tend to install them all (against sound tuning principles but I get excited)

So I installed the Yasuni C16 but also went from a shorter than stock Gates belt to a longer than stock Malossi X-Special. Combination of either or both made my scooter way faster. :!:

You can also note that I have no stand now so parking is a challenge. Have a buzetti side stand, some more jets, a shock riser (because the pipe hangs hella low) and some other crap on order now.

Also vented my vario cover with cutouts behind the rear pulley and on the side over the front pulley. I'll try to get a pic later.

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Fri May 14, 2010 4:48 pm

F10Pilot wrote:When I get a box of parts I tend to install them all (against sound tuning principles but I get excited)

I know very well that feeling...

Your scooter is looking good!
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

dio burnout

Postby dio burnout » Fri May 14, 2010 4:50 pm

You scoots looking awesome, nice job. How the new chamber compared to your old one ? Higher RPM ?
How does the burnout taste in your grill.

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Fri May 14, 2010 5:12 pm

Thanks for the post Dio - I'm trying to get to a second page :)

It's hard to say how much better the new pipe is, seat of pants it's faster, but like I say I switched belts also. I assume it revs a little higher because it took rollers over a gram lighter and it also revs a bit higher on the flats RSII ~11,000 max C16 I got 11,800 but I just got it so only been on a few test rides and it was still pulling when I ran out of road. :D

I'm using medium clutch springs so I can putter around town and this pipe still pulls HARD from like 7000rpm. It's also much quieter than my leaky technigas. So far I'm super pleased, the C16 is as advertised a great street pipe but I miss my centerstand and not sure the bang/bling was worth it.

If doing it over I'd look hard at the City16, which is supposed to clear most centerstands and with the cones pulled out is still a damn good pipe. It was $20 more and out of stock at the time but if in stock I'd have tried the city.

Return to “Scooter Showroom”