Vespa GTS250ie Draggin Red is Fastest!

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

F10Pilot

Vespa GTS250ie Draggin Red is Fastest!

Postby F10Pilot » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm still piloting the F10 - Working on some ideas with that but in the meanwhile...

I bought a 4t.

Very smooth not as manic as the Malaguti although not a lot faster. Hopefully reliable though. I'm shopping exhausts probably won't see much more modding unless something breaks.

Does have some low speed rattles from the engine though and its at the 6k mi service time so...

Adjustable flyscreen, clutch and vario blocking tools, 10.5g Dr. Pulley sliders, vario slides, assorted junk.

I'm thinking might as well replace the belt if I'm there, no Agip around probably go with Mobil 1 or Amsoil unless somebody on the board says "OMFG NOOOO!" :lol:

Also wanting Akrapovic or Leo Vince EVO slip on or possibly the Malossi RX full exhaust. Open to any opinions on that also.

Also looking for suggestions on how I might make a bright red Vespa look sort of mean and badassed.
Malaguti F10 - Flies like a butterfly - Sounds like a bee.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:35 am

That's one of my favorite 4-stroke scooters. Congratulations! I'm sure it's a blast to ride.

When I was in Costa Mesa CA, I snapped some pictures of Rolf's (one of Piaggio USA's tech trainers) GTS. I really liked the wheels:

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 pm

Indeed I really like the blackout effect. I may look into black legshield trim, mirrors and horn cover.

Josh, we won't be passing Cloud 9 on the dragstrip any time soon but would be comfortable and smooth getting there. The adjustable windshield makes it a hella comfy seat to watch the miles roll by.

:D

F10Pilot

New Tire

Postby F10Pilot » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:14 am

This seems to be a really good tire. 1st dual compound scooter tire available. I went up 1 size 140/70-12. It's the Michelin Power Pure SC 2ct - they also make an R reinforced version for heavy scoots that carry heavy loads.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm

Nice. :)

Since I last got on the forum, I managed to score a GTS 250ie myself! Looks just like yours, Dragon Red and all. Mine's got 21,xxx miles on it though.

A little rattle at idle/low RPM isn't unusual for these bikes. I believe it has something to do with the CVT, and the back of the belt touching the case a bit at idle, though I have never confirmed this. Every one I have ever messed with had a bit of noise at idle. Even the GT200's and such.

One of the guys at Vespa/Piaggio training even brought the question up about "noises from CVT at idle" (or similar) and the trainer at Piaggio Group USA dismissed it without much thought.

So you're liking those Power Pure's okay? Mine's got Michelin CityGrip on them, 120/70-12 and 130/70-12. I planned on going to Heidenau when it was time for a change but I'm curious to hear your review.

Ciao!

~Josh

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:58 pm

Josh I think you're really going to enjoy the GTS I love mine.

I too have the cvt rattle at low rpm but its more noticible because the scooter is so quiet. I'd dearly love to have the bv350 engine as it's a lot more power but the 250ie will go as fast as I should be going anywhere anytime.

Adjustable front shock would be nice.

I've put almost 1000mi on the Power Pure and just ordered the matching front. It's sticky in corners and shows no wear yet in the middle. The 1 size wider is a bit taller too, stable and smooth seems like a lot more top end but my old tire was small - very worn out.

If it lasts the same in the center as an average tire I'm fine with it because it costs the same as average tires but has sides that grip like velcro in corners easily up to angles that will cause sparks off the centerstand on a GTS.

True I don't have a huge basis of comparison and I don't push hard enough to slide the tires much due to fear of highsiding, but I'd definitely recommend trying them. Rossi and Marquez will be on Michelins next year.

No reason I can see not to be on them now.

F10Pilot

bar ends

Postby F10Pilot » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:05 pm

Replaced the stock bar ends with these fluted aluminum jobs.

The stock ones are too much chrome giant wonky and so heavy you can feel the difference at the bars. Piaggio uses them to dampen vibration but I swear I feel less vibration now. This was a no downsides, improved feel reduced vibration lighter and less annoying.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:35 am

Nice bar-ends. :)

So how do you like it with the 10.5 gram sliders installed? Are you making friends with the rev limiter yet?

~Josh

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:10 pm

The 10.5 is just about right could maybe go a bit lighter but with the stock clutch springs transmission is pretty good. Only hit the limiter downhill or with a big tailwind.

I did get the front power-pure installed and am sure to replace it before it wears out. The fronts for these are reverse rotation to be mounted as a front or rear. It seems like a rear tire on the front, it's not super sticky like the back one feels especially under hard braking. The center of the tire is harder though so will probably last beyond my being ready to try a pirelli diablo or something.

The rear I still think is great. I've put 3000 miles on it and there's a lot left and it's great in corners too.

Had a bit of drama on this scoot so it's parked for awhile. Short season up here anyway so I'll just ride the malaguti until I can replace the front end on the GTS.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:34 pm

Did you get your fork fixed up yet? I realize that it's been over a year, but was digging through old posts and couldn't help wondering.

I've got 31,xxx on mine now, and loving it. I'm ready for some new CVT parts and another new tire in the rear soon. I'm currently using 120/70-12 and 140/70-12 Heidenau K61 tires. I like them a lot.

I installed some K58's on a customer's GT200 (pretty much same bike with carb and smaller engine) and noticed the extra noise from the more "all-weather" tread pattern. I'm sure they do well in crummy weather though.

Anyway, if you need help with the repairs please be sure to let me know. :)

~Josh

F10Pilot

Once I fixed my fork I scooted like MF and forgot to update

Postby F10Pilot » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:21 pm

Hey Josh thanks for the reminder to update my GTS saga. Good to hear you're enjoying yours I do not find that surprising at all. It's a lot more difficult to not have fun on one of these than have a blast.

No fun is possible though if you ride into the side of a car. At all other times it's been great.

So I tweaked the frame you can kind of see the bulge and the paint cracks.

Dented up the underbody panel a bit.

So I got new fork, unpainted front fender, colorrite paint set, and a few other little bits that got smushed.

The frame is tweaked a bit and I probably wouldn't do it with a regular frame but there are no cracks in the welds and with the unibody frame I don't think it's just going to suddenly break. It is just a scooter after all.

Dropped the tank and beat the dents out of the side but used all my paint on the fender. So stickerbomb. I know somebody is going to comment that my repair job turned out a little halfassed but the weather was getting warm and my objective was really just having a useable scooter at this point.

Then I tested it for about 8,000 miles and it was fine.

I know its tweaked and I still have some plans to get it a little better but since I thought it might be a total loss for awhile I was pretty glad to have a Vespa again for $300. or so.

And I do also have this to work on....

Thanks for checkin in Josh! Enjoy that modern Vespa. Maybe I'll try to ride my bent GTS down to some of the races this year...or possibly show up with a Malaguti F10 R/T and race :)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:32 pm

WOW! Thanks for the update man, it's pretty awesome to see all your work. The paint looks like it turned out great. I'm glad to see you got it back on the road.

Looks like some beautiful riding in the 8k miles of testing! How much do you suppose you ride in a year? I tend to cover a lot more ground with the GTS than I did the Kymco. I guess that happens when suddenly you're capable of highway travel. :)

I'll have to get off my arse and get a thread going for mine. :)

Kind Regards,

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Showroom”