New user - New scooter!

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

seamus26

New user - New scooter!

Postby seamus26 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:17 am

Hello, all! New user, new scooter, first post.

I just took delivery on my new ZNEN Amore 150 this week. I haven't had a lot of ride time yet, but from what I have seen I'm pretty impressed so far.

I'm looking forward to as much ride time as is possible for September in Michigan!

:D
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:27 am

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy the scooter, and the forum. There seem to be a lot of riders in Michigan - particularly Grand Rapids.

Cheers!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:23 am

Areomyst wrote:Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy the scooter, and the forum. There seem to be a lot of riders in Michigan - particularly Grand Rapids.

Cheers!

~Josh

GR is exactly where I'm located. There's quite a club here. I'm anxious to get more involved.

[shamelessplug]Jason at Grand Rapids Scooter has been great. They have group rides every Sunday afternoon. I may be able to join in this weekend, weather permitting.[/shamelessplug]

My next step is passing the riding test and finishing the break in period. Hopefully I can accomplish all that before the snow flies.

My reason for the scooter purchase was (mainly) gas$$ savings. I have a spreadsheet set up to track mileage and compare my drives to my two other cars so I can determine exactly when it pays for itself.

I drive 40 miles round trip to work. It should pay for itself very quickly.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:46 pm

I have racked up about 180 miles and had two fillups. My first "official" mileage recording is right around 80mpg. I passed my riding test, so I am official. I also picked up a cold weather mask that should help quite a bit. I did my first oil change and learned two things :

1. The oil screen is spring loaded. I'll have a hand out to catch that next time.

2. Put a rag between the filler tube and the exhaust. It will drip when you refill.

Now, if I were to re-engineer things I would not put the drain plug so close to the center stand, nor would I put the filler tube right over the exhaust, but that's just me. Still, live and learn.

All that and it rained this morning. I had to drive a CAR to work. :(

Perhaps tomorrow ...

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:53 am

Sounds like you're enjoying it, and doing the right thing with keeping it maintained also. With the Chinese engines I recommend a careful eye on oil changes and valve adjustments. :) I'm glad that it's going well for you man! I hope you get the chance to ride with the GRSC soon. The guys I've dealt with from there have all been awesome. :)

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am

I'm a big fan of maintenance. My Volvo doesnt have 230K on her for nothing. :D

I have about 360 miles on the scooter now. I'll probably change the oil again at around 400. One more change and I want to switch to synthetic, for many reasons. I want to give it a good break in before I do, though.

It's been a little c-c-c-old in the mornings lately. 39° this morning, to be exact. The cold doesn't bother me so much, but the problem I've had is foggy goggles. At 45mph everything's fine, but as soon as I come to a stop I'm blind. The rides home in the afternoons have more than made up for the morning ride in, though. Mid 70s and sunny with the smell of the fall leaves beside the river ... awesome! Anyway, I stopped at Fox Motorsports on the way home last night and picked up some Cat Crap. The stuff is amazing. As chilly as it was I had absolutely no issues with fog. If you don't have some, go get some right now.

On a side note, my scooter looked kinda puny sitting next to the Moto Guzzi café racers. Bet I get better mileage, though.

jecole7

Postby jecole7 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 am

That's great you're enjoying the open road and all of God's creation. That's why I got a scooter and a motorcycle. Happy riding to you!
2007 Vento Triton Li 4 stroke

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Fri May 23, 2014 10:56 am

So, I have a little over 1300 miles. I've learned a lot.

1. Brighter is better. I replaced all of the marker lights with Pilot LEDs. I posted in the other thread, but I'll post it here, too. Auto Zone carries Pilot LEDs that are a direct replacement. They weren't cheap, but IMHO were worth the investment. The tail light came in a two pack, so I plan on finding a bezel and lens from an old Chevy and mounting it on the trunk as a second light.

2. Do NOT put anything weird in your gas. I used a little Drygas last fall and have had the carb out twice cleaning the gunk out. Who knew? Those jet are TINY, man. The second time it quit was about a mile from work and I was able to field dress it and get it running in about half an hour. I was pleased. Now I just carry those tools with me all the time.

3. Windshields are good. Last week the weather was so nice that I took the shield off (because it looks cooler that way) and cruised around downtown. It was awesome. Yesterday I drove to work and forgot that at 50 with a headwind ... well, let's just say with nothing but goggles covering my face it was an adventure. I was holding the grips for dear life as bugs the size of bullets tried to knock me off the bike. Sure, I could have slowed down ...

4. Don't leave it running on just the side stand. And if you do REALLY DON'T reach and grab the throttle to stop it from tipping when you catch it moving out of the corner of your eye. It spins around in a circle on it's side really quickly.

I am still averaging 73.8mpg. I generally cruise between 40-50mph and I like to get there fast, so I'm pretty happy with that. This weekend it's time for an oil change (again) and perhaps an NGK upgrade. Time will tell.

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm

So, I dumped the bike for the first time this morning. I hit a damp spot coming into a turn and completely lost it. Fortunately I was slowing for the turn. I'll heal, but Lidocaine is my friend today.

After picking it up off it's side it wouldn't start. Figuring it was flooded I pulled and blew out the carb. That did the trick, but the throttle felt funny. When I tipped I landed on and crushed the housing around the throttle cable and it wouldn't let it return. I drove home with the engine trying to push me along at 45 the whole way. The brakes got a workout.

Talking with some friends I understand that anyone who says they've never tipped their bike is a liar. That makes me feel better, but I'm still stingy in places and I wrecked my favorite jeans.

Oh, well. Stopping for parts on the way home.

seamus26

Postby seamus26 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:25 am

That night I had the new cable on and the bike was up and running just fine again. I was a little shaky, and I'm still nursing bruises and scabs, but nothing that won't heal. I have some minor scrapes on the bike that will forever remind me to watch those corners. Everything has been great since then.

I had been riding an open face helmet with goggles until recently. I stopped at GR Scooter because I was interested in a modular helmet. They had actually taken in a used GMax modular that day that I picked up for $60! I've been really happy with it.

I am starting to re-think the rest of my riding gear, which has been whatever is comfortable. I want to split the difference between full leather armor and a t-shirt (which is what I was wearing at the time). The road rash could have been much worse than it was.

It was suggested that I check out this site :

http://www.myleather.com

Anyone have any experience with them? Their prices look very reasonable.

Return to “Scooter Showroom”