Zombie's Kymco ZX 50 - Heavily Modified

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

High-Gain

Postby High-Gain » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:29 am

I didn't know anyone shot Imron anymore. Last time I used it was on my Circus Circus Hydro because it is Nitro proof.
The highest attention to detail in every Fuel Injected build... INSIDE and OUT.

zombie

Postby zombie » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:15 pm

I use the paints I do because of their impermeable nature/flow/gloss retention. I mainly spray AwlGrip. It is a pressure pot application, and damn near bullet proof. The other main paints I use are Nason,MSU,Cross Fire, Kandies...
All multi component/stage paints. The Imron came from a Royal blue "Boot Stripe" job I did a few months ago. (the color stripe just above the water line on a boat). I had just enough left to tint into this teal/turquoise color using alot of pure white base, and a little (secret for now...)

Just giving a little background... I work with whatever the customer wants...as long as I think it is right~
Addicted to 2 stroke 50cc:
I don't use the choke. I warm my fuel in a spoon, and inject it into the vacuum line.

zombie

Postby zombie » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:12 am

A little updating on the ZX parts... I finished the paint on the body,
Here's one for Josh...

The next step was fabing a console or dash for my gauges. This was done in a cured sheet method. Using a pane of window glass I set a panel, and peeled it to have some material to work from...
Here's the raw lay up...
This is a mock up for final fitting, and yes, that is a 90MPH speedo.

Where's Waldo?

The rest of the mounting is done with rubber mounts, and it is in the first stages of paint. I have only base coats on it so far but it will be finished in the two tone set of the bike. These are just some mock ups of the speedo, and a few of the body...

On a side note... I got the HPI Ign. in the other day.
I have an issue that HPI is pretty slow in sorting out... The problem is the software will not save any projects either to the computer or to the cdi. I have the "com ports" sorted right. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for looking, and all the help in getting this far. This bike is going to be an animal.

I don't use the choke. I warm my fuel in a spoon, and inject it into the vacuum line.

Big B NRG

Postby Big B NRG » Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:17 pm

Great work on the plastics. Takes real skill to make such!!

Is the program giving any errors when you try to save?
Maybe you need to delete the existing curve first before you can load a new one?
Will build someday again!

zombie

Postby zombie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:45 pm

Thank you J. for moving the thread. I am a high maintenance kinda guy... What with rotting flesh, and a craving for brain fodder...

The CDI I have has no existing curve. It is the un programmed version. There is alot of info on the current situation that I will post up but 6 beers, and a waiting desert are preventing me from getting techy...
I just wanted to thank J. for separating the two threads I messed up, and to let you all know there has been some progress on the build. I have the engine assembled, and have pulled a few rabbits out of my hat in doing so. The only OEM parts on this scoot are countable on your hands. No joke. I have finally found the corrcet time to call HPI, and have been given the royal treatment. I also found out (maybe) why Waxheads customers had a hard time with programs not holding in the HPI cdi. This hurt my soul... You CANNOT run a Non resistor cap or plug with the cdi's they build. It MUST have a 5k cap, and a resistor plug. They WILL run on non resistor but will lose their program when run on straight thru set ups.
MAYBE I can get a resistor version of a 12 heat range gap less plug from NGK. If not I will make one.
Anyway I will update both threads with facts once I return to earth.
Just so you feel my pain... This is what my brain does... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwZV4Y9 ... re=related

zombie

Postby zombie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:31 pm

Whew!!!
Guess I'll start w/ the frame. I was going to have it sandblasted but it was really just dirty. No rust, or flaking paint so I just sealed it, and shot it w/ the same Imron as the plastics. It's just darkened up some w/ blue/black.

Paint is done. Just a bit on the dash piece..
Next was the engine case. I still had some meat to remove as well as filling the old boost port from the 50mm jug taht was on it before. I have two cases so I can side by side them. The picts blow but you'll get the idea.
Thats a fiberglass block to hold the epoxy till it cured. I did all the work with the cases assembled so I used paper towels, and grease to block the crank. I know its cheesy. It works for me. The rest are intake/case mods... The oilers were drilled out, the chanell for the boost ends right under BTC on the crank. The idea is to force feed the boost. It worked great on the 50mm, and works even better on this jug. I had the top 1/2 of the transfers in the case polished but got lazy this go round.

Next was a spacer for the base. I was about 1.5mm above the deck, ans my top inng was about 1.5mm into the boost port w/ a OEM paper gasket. I got a 6pack of assorted thicknesses 4x4" aluminum http://www.onlinemetals.com/aluminumguide.cfm I wound up using a combo of OEM paper gasket on the base w/ a forgotten spacer thickness next, followed by the OEM aluminum gasket supplied by Polini. Using Perfect seal on the paper, and Flange sealer on the aluminum I have a finished height of 1.8mm that gives me a .5mm squish on the furthaes outside egge of the piston. The inner most of the squish band is .7mm. It is a mere 4-5mm wide band in the head. Here's the raw metal/spacer/gaskets used.

I did not take picts of the jug because the phone died but it is Matched to the cases. The Exh is 1.5mm higher to bring up the oEM power band to match the pipes 11-25k. Oem Polini is 8.5-9.5. Also widened the Exh by 4mm, and raised the forward transfers 1mm to try to avoid being overly peaky. The boost, and rear transfers are OEM.
I had one strange issue... The right side transfers were showing a perfect cool wash where the cooler mix enters. The Intake side showed no wash... I also found a pencil lead thin stripe of carbon on the intake side of the exh. port. I can only assume it was rich jetting as it was never really dialed in. It was BROKEN in but not tuned.

Next was the cvt cover, and ctv itself... I drilled out a sh*t load of air holes. My componants were getting blued from heat so this may do it.
Stage 6 MKII w/ Malossi red, and torsion controller. Also using S6 orange fly springs. One step down from S6 race. The Var is a Jasil, and the bely Malossi. Trying 7.5 rollers to start.

Next was the gears... I tried Malossi primaries, and with my unknown brand secondaries I had 7.1:1 final ratio, and was still running out of gear. Now I have a set of Polinni primaries, and a set of ZX custom cut secondaries from Steve at Moped Hospital. He informed me these have sat for years because they had no bike to push them. They were sold as is so no crying... The final ratio is 5.75:1. That should get some mph, as long as the rest is correct.
My method of gear change... Heat one, and the other drops out.
I also found the new secondary shaft was too big for the case boss. It had to be tapped into place. N/G. I chocked it in a drill press, and lapped it down using emory cloth, and final polishing with several different rubbing compounds. New seals/bearings/shims/thrust washers/buffer were installed, and it turns like silk by hand. I also had to take a piont file to every tooth on the large secondary gear. It did bind but now is fine.
Here's the most important tool I own. I would have to die, and never touch another engine without this very important piece of equipment...
The engine held 6psi overnight. I also teated w/ my pipe installed, and all is well in the 25 total welds on the Scorpion.
I have some more issues w/ the HPI CDI but will add them to the thread this thread came out of.
I appreciate all the help/advice/encouragement that you all provided to get this far. Just so you all know... I will get 90mph from this bike. Three runs to prove it, and it will be drained of fuel/fogged/bagged, and put up for sale. I want an SR 50. Just can't seem to spend hard earned dollars for it. I'd rather get it back out of the scoots first.

waxhead

Postby waxhead » Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Looks good there zombie.
Sr50 come one get an aerox. Im happy to find you one on this side of thr world if you want to import it
I dont have a short temper just a quick reaction to bullshit. Seeya !!!
Easy on the paint, hard on the porting
Thanks to my sponsors and team mates
roost exhausts
shark leathers
sava tyres
Dr Pulley

zombie

Postby zombie » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:30 pm

I actually did look into importing an aerox some months ago. There's a thread on KF about it. I would have to find a customs agent that handles Motor Vehicles. His fe is generally = that of the unit. It then has to be modified at MY expense to meet US DOT requirements. I then have to pay shipping/customs fees/tax/import duties/and the new metals surcharge. All told an Aerox would cost me Approx 8g's. However if I had a "friend" that could send me some computer parts from a far off country... I'm sure Santa would be very grateful, and quite rewarding at Xmas.
Now if only I had such a friend... Hmmm. Who do I know that lives far away...?

Just to be clear on one thing that read wrong to me... I ported those cases before this jug/crank were installed for another build. When I mentioned stuffing it w/ rags I meant just to fill/reduce the boost size, and some transfer area work.. I wouldn't try to drill out the oilers with bearings in there.

Gbisk

Postby Gbisk » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 am

Sick! Good work.

zombie

Postby zombie » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:38 pm

Thanx. Hopefully it will all pay off in the end. There have been four kits, and two cranks in those old cases. It gets sicker every build. Right now I am waiting on a pair of cvt cover gaskets, a replacement inner rotor ( HPI shipped the wrong rotor) the fan adapter, and the CDI. I can have it assembled , and running in a day but need parts...
I think I'll order a pair of polinni pistons as well.

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:35 am

I really like the uniqueness in your builds. Amazing!

zombie

Postby zombie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:02 am

Thankx Dr. That may be one advantage I have over long term builders... I don't know what won't work so I try everything that comes to mind.
Anyone can buy a fully loaded Corvette, and go get all the latest parts... I'd rather build a rat rod to blow them away. Maybe someday I'll build a cookie cutter bike... Doubt it tho. :roll:

F10Pilot

Postby F10Pilot » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Sweet custom work Zombie!

Does the HPI have a lighting coil? I'm jus wonderin what you will be rocking for bulbs behind the bugeyes. I've been thinking about making a new headlight assembly.
Malaguti F10 - Flies like a butterfly - Sounds like a bee.

zombie

Postby zombie » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:05 pm

The Bug eyes have an LED ring on the outside, and I am replacing the inner bulbs w/ H3 LED's. All the other bulbs have been converted to LED, and electronic flasher relays are waiting for it. The HPI offere a 5amp lighting coil. It is wound w/ 15awg wire. That will get re wound w/ 30awg giving me between 8-10 amps. The fully lit bike w/ both blinkers on draws 8 amps on paper. I didn't figure in the Inst. led's but I don't plan to run at night anyway so I will see.
I'm gonna have to buy a 9lbs spool of magnet wire. If anyone else is into re doing some coils I will have about 7-8lbs left...
All the LED stuff I bought on ebay. Under 20 bucks including the relays.

High-Gain

Postby High-Gain » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:08 am

Your work is sick.... I have to send you some projects.
The highest attention to detail in every Fuel Injected build... INSIDE and OUT.

Return to “Scooter Showroom”