Areomyst's Marshin Area 51

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:51 pm

It's a project, and you never know, someone may see what you are doing and give you a new idea to ponder.
I believe the majority of folks on the Scooterforum.net site can appreciate the time, effort and money it takes to get to that "finished" (if there is such a thing) result. :)

scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:29 pm

scootertrog's logic managed to get the best of me: Thread Moved. :)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:52 pm

Got some photos today of the water pump, carburator, and radiator for the Black bike. I suppose from this point forward I should focus on the black scooter, and I'll make a separate thread for the red one.

Anyway, here's the chromed waterpump, and the 24mm OKO carb. I'm currently looking for a good deal on a better carb...

I left the plastic on the water pump... I guess I should have taken it off before the picture. :P

I'm going to be welding some brackets to the frame so I can bolt the radiator on. The headlight is going to come out, naturally. I'm also going to get a plastic welder to go with my collection of tools to complete these projects. :) I'm going to modify the front plastics in some way, not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet though.

~Josh

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:13 pm

Do you not like the 24mm OKO D-slide? I had already determined that if/when I changed the 19mm Arreche carb, I was going to get the 21mm OKO D-slide.
Are you going to replace the headlight with something else, or just let this be a daytime-runner only?

scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:06 pm

scootertrog wrote:Do you not like the 24mm OKO D-slide? I had already determined that if/when I changed the 19mm Arreche carb, I was going to get the 21mm OKO D-slide.

The needle adjustment can be a little bit quirky with the OKO. I've messed with a few of them on different setups. They work fine when you get everything adjusted properly, but because I'm going to run an EVO setup, I'd rather just go the extra mile and have genuine Keihin.

scootertrog wrote:Are you going to replace the headlight with something else, or just let this be a daytime-runner only?

I'm thinking that this will be mostly a track bike, so it will probably be a daytime bike only. If the police saw something with no headlights around here, they would definately pull me over even if I had it registered with the DMV. I have considered some of the handlebar mount LED kits though. PIAA makes some really good ones. After seeing the LED headlamps in Indianapolis last year, I'm convinced that it just may be the way to go.

I'm also closely following Mexicano's progress with his LED projects. I think I can certainly learn a lot from all of his knowledge on electrics and whatnot. I may do something custom, but I still like the idea of the handlebar LED kits. They're used often for night time dirt bike races and such. :)

~Josh

rony2211

Postby rony2211 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:35 pm

wow cool stuff i just got into scooters and must say i am having a blast got me a 2006 area 51 can you recomend some simple things to do to get a few more mph out of it .dont have the cash to go all out like what your doing wish i did cuz thats just bad ass .thanks ron

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:51 pm

rony2211 wrote:wow cool stuff i just got into scooters and must say i am having a blast got me a 2006 area 51 can you recomend some simple things to do to get a few more mph out of it .dont have the cash to go all out like what your doing wish i did cuz thats just bad ass .thanks ron

Hi there!

The stock Marshin Area 51 exhaust is the first thing that people usually want to change. rickystudds just got a LeoVince TT exhaust, and he will be putting it on soon, from what I understand. I'm sure he'll let us know his results. :)

Many expansion chambers will help the performance of your scooter. I highly recommend the Tecnigas Next-R for the stock Marshin. If you're planning on going to a 70cc cylinder in the future though, a different exhaust will be required for optimal performance.

Clutch springs and roller weights will help you get the most out of your new exhaust system. :)

I plan on having some new photos next week showing the inlet manifold and the subframe. :D

~Josh

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:01 pm

I'm not sure about the horizontal Mina, but a guy on our s9 site used his Next-R pipe with his kitted scoot (Kymco SF10 engine) and sees the same top speed as we do with the RS70 pipe. I'm sure there has to be a difference in the power curve somewhere, but, he pretty much has the same "tangible" performance as we do. Bottom end is there also, he pops wheelies at will. :)
I always had the understanding the Next-R would not work well with a 70cc kit, but at least with the Kymco Super 9 that is not the case. I have also observed that the original Next pipe has a higher top speed than the Next-R - here again on a Kymco Super 9. The Next-R pipe has a larger belly-section. I've only seen the Next pipes on the Mina's, not the Next-R rendition. I would think they would perform in the same manner, as there is not much difference between the SF10 and Mina top ends.

scootertrog

rony2211

Postby rony2211 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:28 am

ok added a new pipe not a name brand but a performance part none the less also add 4.5 gram roller weights made a big diffrence now once the rpms are up it moves along at a good 50 55 mph my ? is how do i get more rpms on the take off Thank you Ron

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:40 pm

I'm not really big on MRP, but for until I get the Polini parts, I'm using the stock cylinder. This is the Turbokit HQ exhaust I'm using. With the stock cylinder, it works well for what it is.

I was doing a little maintenance on the scoot, and snapped a shot of it on the bench. You can see the Bitubo shock with the eyesore red spring. :) Nothing against red, but I don't like it on my bike. It'll be powdercoated black someday! Gotta get my silly air compressor back up.

Here's a closeup of the shock. You can also see the crummy "spray-bomb" job I did on the CVT cover. A year ago it looked pretty good. Now it's had a lot of riding, a lot of kickstarting, and a little brake cleaner on it. :P Powdercoating will do that some good as well.

The more I look at the bike, the more I want a good handlebar kit. They say patience is a virtue. :)

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:18 pm

Those Bitubo's are sweet-looking items. I bet the ride has improved. :D

scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:49 pm

Well, I'm buying stock Yamaha Zuma carters from 60+Zuma! I like the idea because there's no guesswork as far as figuring out which gearsets the Chinese scoot will need. With the Yamaha carters, ordering will be a little easier.

This will also allow me to have a couple of engines for my scoot. I'm excited! Photos will come when I get everything home. :D

~Josh

cranberriesforthree

Postby cranberriesforthree » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:39 pm

Very nice! I likey!

This is your sister BTW incase you did not figure it out.
:shock:

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:45 am

After some consideration, I may have to switch wheels again with the Zuma block. I'm not sure, I'm going to see if the wheels I have will fit. I like the look of them, so I'm hoping they'll still work. If not I'll have to look into finding some different ones from over the pond. :)

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:49 am

Well, I've finally got a true Minarelli engine for my Area 51! I'll take a few photos of the block soon. I'm going to start gathering parts soon - I already blew the money that I was going to by my exhaust with. Ended up buying the Vespa with it, but I've got a few more things for sale on craigslist and the Vespa was worth it. :)

I want to find a nice CVT cover for this block and I'm considering one of the covers from scooter-center. Hopefully we'll get Calvin's LED tail light this week, as it's been over a month at this point since we ordered. If all is well, I'll be happy to order from them again.

I'll try to snag some photos soon, but I won't have computer access tonight so it'll be a few more days before I can get them up I suppose.

I also took the handlebars and nosecone off of the bike as I'm measuring for some different handlebars. I'm thinking of using some Answer carbon fiber ones off of a bicycle instead of spending the $400ish dollars on a 'scooter specific' set of drag bars. The stem is 1 inch, and it doesn't look like I'm going to have any trouble with the handlebars at all. :)

I'll give some more pics as soon as I can. :)

Cheers!

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Showroom”