Areomyst's Marshin Area 51

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

Areomyst
Site Admin

Areomyst's Marshin Area 51

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Hello friends!

I've got a healthy handful of scooters, but the two that I favor (besides my wife's Kymco People 50) are the Marshin Area 51's. I really like these scoots, because they are lightweight (compared to many on the market) and they are very easy to modify!

I would like to post these under the "Scooter Showroom" but to be truthful, I don't have enough detail on them yet for me to feel right about posting them there. Instead, I will post the scooters, and then give a general rundown on what I am going to do with each of them.

The bike that I favor is the black one. I will be building this for race use. I plan on taking it the drag strip, and I hope to be able to get a big enough group together some day to justify renting a track for the local chapter of Scooter Invasion. :)

So far, I have done only a few things to this bike, as I am slowly saving for everything that I want for it. I have cut and modified the subframe to allow me to fit an MHR inlet manifold (which is installed). This manifold redirects the carb to face the rear of the bike, and positions the air filter over the back tire and fender. I will get a good photo of that soon and post it here. :)

I have also purchased a water pump and an oversized radiator from Metrakit.

I've got a 24mm OKO carburetor and a K&N air filter, but I think I'm going to try and find a Keihin carb instead... I really want a diaphragm carb that will work, but I haven't seen one for a good price yet.

I have cut the rear mudflap, because it's ugly.

I used black wheels off of a Marshin Predator, because I like the "black and chrome" kind of look. Don't get me wrong, I like the 'nightrider' or 'streetfighter' look better than I like the 'bling', but I think I'm going to end up mixing elements a bit on this one.

Future plans for this scooter:
    Polini Evolution Cylinder - Ported, Exhaust Port Polished, bridge narrowed, squish clearance as tight as possible without detonation, etc...

Polini Evolution Crankshaft

Polini Evolution Exhaust

VForce Reed Valves

Polini 2g Clutch

Malossi Overrange (seems to be the more popular choice over Speedcontrol, even though you have to get a special vario ramp to make it fit right...)

Carbon fiber handlebar kit

Hydraulic rear brakes

Powder coat block, CVT cover, shock spring, etc

That's just the start of the list. I have also removed everything pertaining to the electric start system -- I don't recommend leaving these components in a higher revving machine as the one way clutch will break apart. I've seen this happen a few times... It's also a little less weight!
Last edited by Areomyst on Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:08 pm

Nice bike. What is the special vario ramp?
IF YOU DONT RIDE YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ALIVE!!!!!!!!! :)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:26 pm

The other Area 51 is going to be my street machine:

Lookin' rough the moment, but that will be fixed. :)

A closeup of the Metrakit SP exhaust pipe.

I believe I am the 3rd owner of this scooter. The previous owner had me do a lot of work to it: Metrakit Everything! SP Cylinder, SP Crank, Bearing and Seal kit from Metrakit, SP Exhaust, Delorto 21mm Carburetor, Metrakit Adjustable Clutch, Variator, etc...

He diddn't pay the extra money at the time to have the crank cases matched, imperfections worked out of the cylinder, or any of that. I would like to paint this entire machine, plastic weld some different headlights into place (I'm liking Mexicano's thinking on LED's!) and rebuild the engine using the same parts, but properly tuning them as I go.

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:32 pm

I like the pipe style!!!!

Anyone running a Yasuni C30?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:39 pm

The means by which I will accomplish many of the goals I have with my scooters:

This is the hand piece I use with the Foredom hang-up SR motor for modifying cylinder port timing, and getting into hard to reach areas. Very handy!

This is the industrial sandblast cabinet that I will use to prep my parts before painting and/or powdercoating. I'll be using aluminum oxide abrasives with this most of the time.

Here's my powdercoating gun, with a few random colors. I have a chrome powder that will look almost exactly like real chrome! I will test this on a CVT cover. I'm considering using it on the block of the street scooter!

Oh! Here's the bitubo shock that I have for the race bike. :) It's an adjustable air shock. The pressure that it holds is very low, and makes a nice difference. I don't have any pics online of this shock mounted to the bike, but I will try and get some up soon. Life is busy!

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:42 pm

60+zuma wrote:I like the pipe style!!!!

Anyone running a Yasuni C30?

Thanks. :) It's different, and I like it a lot too.

I have not seen very many people in the States with Yasuni exhausts. I hear that they are very good though, and many people favor them over most other makes! I wonder when we'll get a good distributor for them in the States?

Scooter works can get them, but they are not an authorized distributor.

The only thing that I don't like about the MK pipes, is that the clearcoat can flake off easy, and I've actually got a few rust spots on the one I have already. :( Bummer...

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:48 pm

What is the deal with the special vario ramp thing on the O/R?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:11 pm

With the Polini Evolution crank, the splines and such are just slightly different than on the Malossi, so you can't just slap the Overrange ramp onto the crankshaft. There is a special part # for the ramp that will work, but I can't find it right now... I may use the speed control anyway, just to have one of those neat 9 roller variators. :P I'll only be able to buy Polini rollers from that point forward though!

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:25 pm

So the O/R from provo wont fit right on the zuma?

What is the part that is needed? Is it a certain design of the O/R or a different shaft or something?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:36 pm

Eh, I think it'll work just fine, you're using the stock crank. The Evolution crank is slightly different.

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:41 pm

If I get an Evo crank, the O/R wont work right? How about the Metrakit crank? Will it work with the same O/R?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:28 am

A good place to get a graduated burete is www.wardsci.com -- This one was less than $30 with shipping!

Does the pipe look familiar to you 60+zuma? :P

Here's a photo of all my scooters. My wife's People 50 is in the picture, and mine is not, so it evens out. My People is a wrecked one I bought off a guy for real cheap anyway... gonna coat the engine and tires and all, and scrap the rest. Might fetch a nice price. :)

From Right to Left:

The People 50 is stock, and belongs to my wife. I sold my Honda Rebel motorcycle (I shed a tear...) to buy her the scooter so she could ride with me. :) She rather enjoys it.

The Honda Express I have given to my son, and we are going to restore it. He wants to paint it Carolina blue! Off kinda color, but if that's what he wants, that's what we'll do. :) We're going to rebuild it from the ground up.

The Black Area 51 is mine, and details are outlined in previous posts in this thread.

The black Eton Beemer you might recognize from the crank bearing videos that can be found on scooterinvasion.net's home page. After rebuilding the engine, and fitting Marshin Predator wheels to this bike, I sold it for $650. I gotta get rid of some of theese scoots before I can buy more parts for my Marshin scooters. :D

The Red Area 51 is also outlined in previous posts.

The Yamaha Razz is going to be fun! It's a very lightweight bike. I need to fit new piston rings to it, and I may have a lot of fun with the bodywork on this bike. I think I will eventually sell this (Can't hang on to all of 'em!), but I plan on having LOADS of fun with it before I do. :)

I've wandered a bit off the topic of the 2 Marshin scooters, but at least you can see where I'm coming from. All of the above scooters will help me reach my goal of evolving to... well... EVOLUTION! :D :D :D I will post progress on each of them as progress is made. :)

Vikter

Postby Vikter » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:28 pm

I like that pipe!LOL!

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:04 pm

I do think you should move this thread to the Scooter Showroom! :) Like all scooter projects, it is a work-in-progress, and you definately are in the process. I know it will haul when you are finished.
There are no Marshin's in my area, looks like a potential racer to me. :)

scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:09 pm

Perhaps you're right scootertrog. :) I'll sleep on it, and they may be in the showroom around this time tomorrow. I guess I'm just used to having to build up a lot of content and detailed photos and such... I never posted them on Scooterforum because I did not feel that I had enough done yet to interest people.

But hey, different forum, different rules. ;)

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Showroom”