Cobra

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

X7rocks

Postby X7rocks » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 am

Really diggin that aprilia in the background :)
the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:28 pm

X7rocks wrote:Really diggin that aprilia in the background :)

Its being parted out if you need anything?
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:37 am

Anybody know that actual name or number of the 2T Cobra, People, Bet&win, Super9, Vitality, etc. is? I remember seeing it somewhere but i cant seem to find it now... There is a name for this style engine but i just cant find it lol.
Josh, im sure you know, care to help em here? Thanks!

dan v

Postby dan v » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:38 pm

You have an A/C Kymco 50cc two-stroke. It is a Kymco design, not a Morini, Minarelli, or Piaggio. :D

Your Cobra is the Cobra Cross model, with the fatter tires. I think they had other "offroad" touches, like the headlight guard and hand guards. The Cobra had 12" wheels like their other models.
How many scoots is too many?

dreflu

Postby dreflu » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:39 pm

2strokd wrote:Anybody know that actual name or number of the 2T Cobra, People, Bet&win, Super9, Vitality, etc. is? I remember seeing it somewhere but i cant seem to find it now... There is a name for this style engine but i just cant find it lol.
Josh, im sure you know, care to help em here? Thanks!

keb7 or ked7 maybe? i have a people and a cobra they both say that on them. I have the the manual at the house that comes with the cobra would it be in there?

dreflu

Postby dreflu » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:40 am

the manual says SF10AF.G for the model if that helps

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:37 am

dreflu wrote:the manual says SF10AF.G for the model if that helps

SF10!!! Thats the number i was looking for! Thanks dreflu!

Yeah, i knew this Kymco 2T is a breed of its own but i couldnt remember the engine number (code) for the life of me....Thanks again!

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Haha, The 'ole work truck' did it! I wasnt able to run Skeedr at the NASRA bracket series this month and i wanted those points. Soooo, i took my daily driver Cobra and ran mid 15,s all the way to a 1st place finish in round two of the bracket series. :D

Was a blast! Team PiTTBull brought home 1st and 2nd place. What a great day at the track! :wink:

scootertrog

Postby scootertrog » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:43 am

If memory serves me correct, the Cobra engine/tranny share a lot of design with the Honda Dio. Kymco used to be a major subcontractor to Honda, and explains why Kymco's build quality was so much better than most other Asian manufacturers.

scootertrog

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:45 pm

Just a little update. Still need to install the taller final drive gears.
I did get a Dello 21mm clone carb installed and i am very happy with it. Cool head temps, lower throttle positions to maintain speed, pulls allot better up top. Still getting a mileage reading but it seems close to the stock 14mm carbs 50-80MPG.

I also shot my exhaust with a few coats of paint. The exhaust temps used to get so high it eventually burnt the old paint off.

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 pm

Just realized this is a huge update here.
Since the last post from racing it ive installed a new set of Michelin,s, a 47mm iron cylinder, Cylinder head temp gauge, and the 21mm carb mentioned in the last post.
I havent tested 1/8mile runs on this scoot since :roll: .
For kicks tho, the other day i ran a 0-30MPH run in 4.4 with the old 14mm carb.
Might post some runs for fun? 0-30,s and 1/8th,s

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Here is my best 1/8th for fun run on my DD :)

Best 0-30MPH

All good there.. Scoots been running great so i decided to install my Top Perf primary gears. They went in smooth, all went well. No binding when finished.. Thinking all was well and ready for ride i do a center stand test and hear some gear noise upon decell. Now i know with straight cut gears some noise is normal but after a test run i confirmed these are way too noisy.

Here is a vid i just shot tonight. Ive had the gears out 3-5 times checking and trying different spacing to figure out how to get them quiet. From stock shim to others, nothing worked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFzDJgT4mco

Any ideas or suggestions?

ottoman

Postby ottoman » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Straight cut gears are naturally noisey. If you cant find anything wrong Id say its just how it is.. they may quiet down a bit after some miles. They are stronger and dont put side loads on the cover and cases but noise is the tradeoff.

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks for the reply ottoman. I have installed and used straight cut gears and understand the extra noise, but these are nuts! Lol, a buddy has the same scoot with taller straight cuts in it. Its not noisy tho.
After a few hundred miles i might pull it back apart and see if there is a abnormal wear or anything? Maybe compare mine with his and see if, whats different about the two?..

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:01 am

Ive since ran under 4 seconds 0-30 with about a 60MPH top speed.
Still running the noisy gears. They did seem to quiet down a tad but not much. Most everyone likes the sound lol. My cousin says they sound like a blower. Not an RPM dependent one lol.

Anyhow, heres the latest.

I have noticed a bit of extra RPM than usual lately. This is RPM without the scooter pulling.
I usually see about 7,300-7,600RPM when taking off from a stop at full throttle.
Lately i have been seeing 7,800+ without the scooter pulling as well. I thought maybe it was time for a vari spacer/shim to be removed from belt wear. Or maybe a new belt all together?

I took the CVT cover off to find i was wrong. My rear pulley/torque driver,s inner seal came out (again) letting grease come in contact with the belt. This explains the extra RPM with no extra pull.
After taking the pulley apart i remembered fixing it before (over the summer?) when the seal came out. I just took it out and cleaned it, then glued the same old seal back in as i didnt have one. Since then i ordered one and had the seals sitting on the shelf so i grabbed those and installed a new one.
I did use a bit of glue. Locktights super glue of sorts. This might make getting the seal out a hard job, but i know it should stay in there.

Got it all back together with fresh grease and seals. New set of 7.5g Dr.P sliders.
I put the pulley back together with some sealant under the BB torsion control base so i knew the grease would not come out as soon as it spins. I made the mistake of not letting the sealant set up overnight and paid for it the first ride. I knew better but didnt want to wait.
I noticed in the first block. It was ok at part throttle, but anything over half and it was slipping some.
I took it back apart last night and sure enough, grease had spun right out of the pulley onto the belt and cvt cover, and cases. The vari face was even coated and the color was different were the belt had been. I took it back apart and cleaned it well. Sprayed the cover and cases with de-greaser, then soapy water to rinse the degreaser. Took the belt inside and washed it with dishsoap and as hot of water my hands can handle. Another good way to clean a belt if you can is a dishwasher. Those puppies get hot!

Applied sealant to the base of the torsion control and put it all together... This time i brought it into the house and let it set on the vent overnight.
Today i will ride!

Return to “Scooter Showroom”