C-Kells zuma

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:00 am

Mexicano wrote:
C-kell wrote:Ill run you through what I would do.Go get some poly resin and fiberglass mat.Clean the fender and apply 3 to 4 coats of mold release wax.After the wax is applied put a coat or two of the poly resin on the fender.Once it gets tacky or sticky lay some mat down.This is a very important part.You need to get the mat to lay down completely and get a the air out of the resin.Then contunue to brush on resin and add mat.Three to four layers should be good.You want to use the least amount of resin you can but still get the mat nice and saturated.Once thats dry seperate the mold from the fender.If theres any holes you can drizzle some resin in and sand smooth.I like to mix the resin and put it in a bag and poke a little hole in the end.Like when they put the iceing of the cakes.Hope that makes sence.Oh and the reason I say use poly resin for the mold is its way cheaper .I dont approve of polly for the finished part but for what we are doing its fine for the mold.Ok so now that you have a mold.You do the same thing as you did to make the mold.Lay some wax down on mold,then epoxy resin, then carbon fiber.Just remember its very important to get all the air out and do a good job to get the carbon to lay all the way down.Three layers of carbon should do.What Im going to do next time is kinda make a sandwich.So you would have the mold,then the carbon layers,then the fender and clamp it all together.Thats about it.Im not very god at explaining things.I hope you understand my rambling.Let me know if I need to reiterate something.Do a couple test so you can get the feel for timing with the different resins.Just remember your Mexicano, you can do anything.


Thanks for the time to explain this.

If I understood well, You are saying to "make a mold" out of the plastic mudguard, then use it as a new mold to fabicate the Carbon fiber fender, right?

Question is, Why not use the plastic fender as a "direct mold" for the carbon fiber mud guard?, Is there any reason?

Regards,
You can just lay the carbon over the fender,but you wont have as good of a result.The mold will give you some experience before you lay the carbon.Which is good.Also with a mold you get a nice top layer.A perfect reproduction.Otherwise not using a mold can give you uneven resin.You could just sand it smooth but then your getting into more work than the result may be worth.I say just play around with it.Make some tests or experiments with different techniques.
C-Kell

User avatar
Mexicano
Posts: 2494
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Mexico

Postby Mexicano » Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:05 am

C-kell wrote:You can just lay the carbon over the fender,but you wont have as good of a result.The mold will give you some experience before you lay the carbon.Which is good.Also with a mold you get a nice top layer.A perfect reproduction.Otherwise not using a mold can give you uneven resin.You could just sand it smooth but then your getting into more work than the result may be worth.I say just play around with it.Make some tests or experiments with different techniques.


Thanks!...Once I get the mudguard I will try.

Regards,
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:45 pm

Mexicano wrote:
C-kell wrote:You can just lay the carbon over the fender,but you wont have as good of a result.The mold will give you some experience before you lay the carbon.Which is good.Also with a mold you get a nice top layer.A perfect reproduction.Otherwise not using a mold can give you uneven resin.You could just sand it smooth but then your getting into more work than the result may be worth.I say just play around with it.Make some tests or experiments with different techniques.


Thanks!...Once I get the mudguard I will try.

Regards,
Ok Mexicano.I did some looking.I think the way you want to do it will be just fine.Ive seen good results now with that method.Just remember it you cast on the outside your part will be slightly bigger and smaller of course if you cast the inside.Give yourself enough resin on the top so you dont sand through the carbon fiber.Finish with 2000 grit and buff.
C-Kell

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:48 am

Took forever but got my frame back from the powdercoaters. Image Image
C-Kell

User avatar
Mexicano
Posts: 2494
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Mexico

Postby Mexicano » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:22 am

looks very nice!! :D
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

Timmy
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Dearborn Heights MI

Postby Timmy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:03 pm

C-kell wrote:Took forever but got my frame back from the powdercoaters. Image Image



Looking good C-kell.
2003 Aprilia sr 50 ditech Autism edition
1999 Derbi Mathattan Hunter

Sold
2001 Honda Elite Sa
2004 Yamaha Zuma
1979 Honda pa 50 1

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:17 pm

Thanks Timmy.
C-Kell

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Got some stuff done.First off I had to make a new frame brace.The old one was a little short to hide the ends in the plastic.Now its good.I made a carbon fiber vin cover.Its not perfect but Im gonna run it.Ill make a new one later.I also made a carbon fiber gauge bracket.I think it turned out really cool.I also have some pics of how the gas tank will end up and the petcock and cap.Enjoy Image Image Image Image Image Image
C-Kell

User avatar
2strokd
Posts: 842
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:08 am
Location: Lafayette IN

Postby 2strokd » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:04 pm

:D Looking very good man 8) !
Keep up the good work :wink: !
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:03 pm

2strokd wrote::D Looking very good man 8) !
Keep up the good work :wink: !
Thanks 2strokd.I should have the gas tank in a couple weeks.Hopefully.
C-Kell

User avatar
Areomyst
Site Admin
Posts: 5267
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:39 pm
Location: Haw River, NC United States of America!
Contact:

Postby Areomyst » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:25 am

Shweet!

How 'bout some details on the fuel tank cap? Do you have to do some more custom fab for that, or is it a bolt-on deal?

Handlebars, mount, and frame all look sick. Keep it up!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Areomyst wrote:Shweet!

How 'bout some details on the fuel tank cap? Do you have to do some more custom fab for that, or is it a bolt-on deal?

Handlebars, mount, and frame all look sick. Keep it up!

~Josh
The gas cap is for a boat.Well,I ordered it from a boat part place at least.As for fab ya theres some.Im making the tank.I mean to say I designed the tank and Im having my buddy weld it.Hes done a bunch of custom tanks.Hes the man.Thanks for the compliments Aeromist :D
C-Kell

C-kell
Posts: 99
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Postby C-kell » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:28 pm

I wont bore you with all the details but I got a lot done and Im still waiting on the tank.Ill let some bad cell phone pics tell the rest. Image Image Image Image Image Image
C-Kell

User avatar
austin8o8
Posts: 58
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:03 pm

Postby austin8o8 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:53 pm

nice build. now i want a zuma. wish more people in HI did them this nice.

Timmy
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:01 pm
Location: Dearborn Heights MI

Postby Timmy » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:06 pm

C-kell wrote:I wont bore you with all the details but I got a lot done and Im still waiting on the tank.Ill let some bad cell phone pics tell the rest. Image Image Image Image Image Image




C-kell that zuma is hot! nice build :D
2003 Aprilia sr 50 ditech Autism edition
1999 Derbi Mathattan Hunter

Sold
2001 Honda Elite Sa
2004 Yamaha Zuma
1979 Honda pa 50 1


Return to “Scooter Showroom”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest