C-Kells zuma

It's show and tell for your custom scoot! Post photos of your project scooters, etc.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:08 am

Long story short I made my first mold and my first carbon fiber part.It was an experiment.Next time I think I know enough now to make a nice part.Here are pics after it came out of the mold.Image Image
C-Kell

dio burnout

Postby dio burnout » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:31 am

Sweet, did you vacuum bag the mold ? looks really nice.
regards
Jon M.
How does the burnout taste in your grill.

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:35 am

Very, very nice!!!, please post pics from the process...I'm very interested on this. Where did You get the materials???

Thanks!
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:19 pm

dio burnout wrote:Sweet, did you vacuum bag the mold ? looks really nice.
regards
Jon M.
No.I would like to try out a vacuum set up.I used this as my guide. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 5.html.Its not really that hard to do its just time consuming and materials are expensive.
C-Kell

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Mexicano wrote:Very, very nice!!!, please post pics from the process...I'm very interested on this. Where did You get the materials???

Thanks!
Thanks Mexicano.Those are the only pics I have.You could totally do it.I just did a lot of research before i started.I like to be well prepared when I take on a project such as this.I get my materials from taps plastics since its local.I had to order the carbon matt.Here are some links http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=98& Huh I cant find a link for the resin.Basically you want clear epoxy resin.Some people will use pollyester since its cheaper but you will be left with a low quality part.
C-Kell

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Thanks a lot!

That was a plastic part just covered with the carbon fabric, right?
Last edited by Mexicano on Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
‘There is only one secret in scooter tuning – to know what you are doing and do it thoroughly’

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:53 am

That is sweet!
Great work :D
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Mexicano wrote:Thanks a lot!

That was a plastic part just covered with the carbon fabric, right?
No,its just carbon fiber and epoxy.I made a mold or casting of the original part then layed the carbon in the mold. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 32185.html Theres alot here but look through this whole link.Use the links on the page too.Everything I know I learned here.You may want to subscribe too so you can see the pics.
C-Kell

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:40 pm

2strokd wrote:That is sweet!
Great work :D
Thanks.It was rewarding when I pulled it out of the mold.I wasnt sure how it would turn out.Im happy with the result.
C-Kell

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:44 pm

Here Mexicano.You can see me making the mold in this link.Go 3/4 of the way down on the page. http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=195
C-Kell

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:34 pm

C-kell wrote:No,its just carbon fiber and epoxy.I made a mold or casting of the original part then layed the carbon in the mold. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 32185.html Theres alot here but look through this whole link.Use the links on the page too.Everything I know I learned here.You may want to subscribe too so you can see the pics.

C-kell wrote:Here Mexicano.You can see me making the mold in this link.Go 3/4 of the way down on the page. http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=195

Thanks a lot C-Kell...

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:14 am

Mexicano wrote:
C-kell wrote:No,its just carbon fiber and epoxy.I made a mold or casting of the original part then layed the carbon in the mold. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archiv ... 32185.html Theres alot here but look through this whole link.Use the links on the page too.Everything I know I learned here.You may want to subscribe too so you can see the pics.

C-kell wrote:Here Mexicano.You can see me making the mold in this link.Go 3/4 of the way down on the page. http://www.zumaforums.net/phpBB3/viewto ... &start=195

Thanks a lot C-Kell...
No problem.Let me know if I can help with anything else.
C-Kell

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 am

C-kell wrote:No problem.Let me know if I can help with anything else.

I'm close to get my hands into my new rear mudguard, it is like yours and I'm thinking on "wraping" the black plastic with carbon fiber cloth and a layer of epoxy...Do you think it would work???

Regards,

C-kell

Postby C-kell » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:22 pm

Mexicano wrote:
C-kell wrote:No problem.Let me know if I can help with anything else.

I'm close to get my hands into my new rear mudguard, it is like yours and I'm thinking on "wraping" the black plastic with carbon fiber cloth and a layer of epoxy...Do you think it would work???

Regards,
Ill run you through what I would do.Go get some poly resin and fiberglass mat.Clean the fender and apply 3 to 4 coats of mold release wax.After the wax is applied put a coat or two of the poly resin on the fender.Once it gets tacky or sticky lay some mat down.This is a very important part.You need to get the mat to lay down completely and get a the air out of the resin.Then contunue to brush on resin and add mat.Three to four layers should be good.You want to use the least amount of resin you can but still get the mat nice and saturated.Once thats dry seperate the mold from the fender.If theres any holes you can drizzle some resin in and sand smooth.I like to mix the resin and put it in a bag and poke a little hole in the end.Like when they put the iceing of the cakes.Hope that makes sence.Oh and the reason I say use poly resin for the mold is its way cheaper .I dont approve of polly for the finished part but for what we are doing its fine for the mold.Ok so now that you have a mold.You do the same thing as you did to make the mold.Lay some wax down on mold,then epoxy resin, then carbon fiber.Just remember its very important to get all the air out and do a good job to get the carbon to lay all the way down.Three layers of carbon should do.What Im going to do next time is kinda make a sandwich.So you would have the mold,then the carbon layers,then the fender and clamp it all together.Thats about it.Im not very god at explaining things.I hope you understand my rambling.Let me know if I need to reiterate something.Do a couple test so you can get the feel for timing with the different resins.Just remember your Mexicano, you can do anything.
C-Kell

Mexicano

Postby Mexicano » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 pm

C-kell wrote:Ill run you through what I would do.Go get some poly resin and fiberglass mat.Clean the fender and apply 3 to 4 coats of mold release wax.After the wax is applied put a coat or two of the poly resin on the fender.Once it gets tacky or sticky lay some mat down.This is a very important part.You need to get the mat to lay down completely and get a the air out of the resin.Then contunue to brush on resin and add mat.Three to four layers should be good.You want to use the least amount of resin you can but still get the mat nice and saturated.Once thats dry seperate the mold from the fender.If theres any holes you can drizzle some resin in and sand smooth.I like to mix the resin and put it in a bag and poke a little hole in the end.Like when they put the iceing of the cakes.Hope that makes sence.Oh and the reason I say use poly resin for the mold is its way cheaper .I dont approve of polly for the finished part but for what we are doing its fine for the mold.Ok so now that you have a mold.You do the same thing as you did to make the mold.Lay some wax down on mold,then epoxy resin, then carbon fiber.Just remember its very important to get all the air out and do a good job to get the carbon to lay all the way down.Three layers of carbon should do.What Im going to do next time is kinda make a sandwich.So you would have the mold,then the carbon layers,then the fender and clamp it all together.Thats about it.Im not very god at explaining things.I hope you understand my rambling.Let me know if I need to reiterate something.Do a couple test so you can get the feel for timing with the different resins.Just remember your Mexicano, you can do anything.

Thanks for the time to explain this.

If I understood well, You are saying to "make a mold" out of the plastic mudguard, then use it as a new mold to fabicate the Carbon fiber fender, right?

Question is, Why not use the plastic fender as a "direct mold" for the carbon fiber mud guard?, Is there any reason?

Regards,

Return to “Scooter Showroom”