Convertible basket for scooter (visualization)

Introductions, general discussion, or material that is not scooter related.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

Nikolaus

Convertible basket for scooter (visualization)

Postby Nikolaus » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:08 am

I wonder why manufacturers are still not producing scooters with convertible front baggage baskets. I suppose it could be very convenient for users: hidden basket is invisible and not spoiling exterior of scooter. At the same time it allows to place a lot of baggage in convenient place when it's needed.

I've made some visualization of probable design of such basket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhgqkn0icak
I have some ideas how to do it better, but can't to model it (because of weak skills in modeling).
I'd really know what do you think about this idea.

P.S. Sorry for mistakes - English is not my native language.

johnnywheels

Re: Convertible basket for scooter (visualization)

Postby johnnywheels » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:24 pm

Honestly I really like the idea! Looks like a very convenient way to store just about anything you would be carrying with you. I really like the top drawer idea for your phone/wallet because the last thing you want is that to fly out of your pocket or have the inconvenience of putting it in your backpack. Hope to see this progress in the future!

Nikolaus

Postby Nikolaus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:28 am

johnnywheels wrote:Honestly I really like the idea! Looks like a very convenient way to store just about anything you would be carrying with you. I really like the top drawer idea for your phone/wallet because the last thing you want is that to fly out of your pocket or have the inconvenience of putting it in your backpack. Hope to see this progress in the future!

Turned, similar constructions already exist. For example:
http://xtremscoot.fr/wp-content/uploads ... noir03.jpg
That's why it's really interesting why are they not widespread?

johnnywheels

Postby johnnywheels » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:35 pm

Nikolaus wrote:
Turned, similar constructions already exist. For example:
http://xtremscoot.fr/wp-content/uploads ... noir03.jpg
That's why it's really interesting why are they not widespread?

Wow, that really is surprising! Hopefully they'll grow as exposure increases. Great concept, don't know why it wouldn't be more common..

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:29 am

I think the idea of extra storage is certainly a good one. Perhaps as more electric scooters come out on the market and there is less room needed for parts associated with gasoline engines we will start to see more of these better storage options.

My Kymco People 50 has a nice under seat storage compartment, and it has a glovebox as well but that's not large enough to really store much. I added a Shad SH29 box to the rear, so it has pretty nice storage options. I suppose a front luggage rack would round out the package as a "touring" setup, but on my 50cc scoot I don't find myself going very long distances anymore.

The Vespa GTS has a pretty generous underseat storage area, as well as a glovebox - but like the Kymco, the glovebox really doesn't have much room...

On scooter that I thought had a nice storage compartment was the old 80-90's Honda Elite 80. The whole front cowl opened up for a neat little storage area - it was kind of like the Zip R3i posted in the photo above. Unfortunately it had only enough storage under the seat to store some papers... You could add a luggage box to the rear rack of course, but it ended up still leaving much to be desired in the storage compartment.

The discussion of storage compartsments I think is a good one. As a year-round rider, I find myself opting to carry several different articles of clothing/gear with me when I ride, especially in the winter. I'll often have two different pairs of gloves, sometimes rain gear, and a spare jacket. When I get to my destination, I don't have enough room on the bike to securely store all of my gear, and usually end up leaving my helmet and jacket exposed - they are locked to the bike, but any would-be thief with a knife could just cut the strap on the helmet or the loop on the jacket and walk away with my stuff - a frustrating thought indeed.

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

johnnywheels

Postby johnnywheels » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:45 pm

Areomyst wrote:The discussion of storage compartsments I think is a good one. As a year-round rider, I find myself opting to carry several different articles of clothing/gear with me when I ride, especially in the winter. I'll often have two different pairs of gloves, sometimes rain gear, and a spare jacket. When I get to my destination, I don't have enough room on the bike to securely store all of my gear, and usually end up leaving my helmet and jacket exposed - they are locked to the bike, but any would-be thief with a knife could just cut the strap on the helmet or the loop on the jacket and walk away with my stuff - a frustrating thought indeed.

~Josh

You make a lot of great points and the theft issue is one that I have dealt with in the past as well. The extra gear can surely be a hassle at times. Sadly where I live leaving anything in the open isn't an option so I have to lug it around with me. Am in the process of finding other storage options though.

Return to “The Scooterist's Lounge”