newbie from san antonio tx....

Introductions, general discussion, or material that is not scooter related.

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog, mikal

ch66s6r

newbie from san antonio tx....

Postby ch66s6r » Wed May 27, 2015 6:09 pm

howdy yall. im from san antonio tx. i just wanted to say whats up to u guys. i just purchased a brand new ice bear mad dog gy6 150cc scooter. im so exited. it should be delivered by next thurs. i also have an 86 honda elite 250 that ive been cruising around on but ive been recently having some problems with so i wanted to get something a little newer and reliable and something easy to wrench on. anyways...i know im gonna have alot of questions once i get my new scooter but for now i just wanted to say hi. ill be reading thru the forums...thanks for having me!
thesightofblood.blogspot.com

dan v

Postby dan v » Fri May 29, 2015 7:30 am

Hello! Don't get rid of the Honda! Fix it! Even though it is almost 30 years old the Honda will be more reliable than the Ice Bear will ever be. You may have to search for them, but Honda parts can be found if you need them.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you can - kill the deal on the new scoot. Run as fast as you can, unless you plan on wrenching on it regularly, and replacing parts from the get-go.
How many scoots is too many?

ch66s6r

Postby ch66s6r » Fri May 29, 2015 12:23 pm

well that really sucks to hear. i cant get my money back or anything. i dont plan on ever getting rid of my honda elite. ill get it running again soon. i have a motorcycle mechanic in the family thats working on the carberator for me. but yeah as for the ice bear mad dog. i do have a buddy that has one. hes the one that turned me on to them and the ruckus. he has one honda ruckus 49cc and an icebear 150cc both with gy6 streched frames or whatever. he hasnt had any problems with the ice bear but he says the honda handles way better and more responsive and the gauges and hardware on the ice bear feels really cheap. i do plan on doing alot of upgrades to the scoot. i was planning on first getting new tires and a battery. the guy from the place i ordered the scooter reccomended the gy6 throttle cable be one of my first upgrades. i wanna get a cool exhaust but if theres anything that i could buy to make it more reliable that would be great. im still fairly new to riding. its been less then a year. i plan on doing an oil change when i first get it and also changing the gear oil. but yeah i cant cancel my order. its already being shipped. :cry: but yeah...ill let u guys know when it comes ill post some pics.
thesightofblood.blogspot.com

dan v

Postby dan v » Fri May 29, 2015 2:21 pm

It sounds like you have looked into the maint. of the Chinese scoots - so that is good.
Doing the oil changes right away is necessary, as is keeping up with the valve adjustments. At least you know that you are not going to get ruckus quality.

Too many buyers go into the cheap scoots not having a clue, and they are often a big disappointment. Glad to hear that you have some friends to help you out.

Good luck with it!
How many scoots is too many?

Return to “The Scooterist's Lounge”