NASRA Spring Nationals 2014 - Shelby NC April Details TBA

Racing? Riding? Want to meet up with other enthusiasts? You can post rides and gatherings here!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, mikal

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:18 am

ICE-Killer wrote:So is it safe to assume that no one races in the 400/700cc class. What is the record for 1/8mile on a scooter?

There are several bikes that would fall into that class - the offbeat out of the box bikes. 2stroked has an insane 125cc 2-stroke with a dirtbike cylinder grafted to a scooter transmission. It's a work of art. Even though it's 125cc it would fit into this "big bike" class because of the extent of work done to it. I believe he set the most recent NASRA record of some 8.3ish seconds? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Daniel O's custom build (a 250cc 4-stroke with custom frame) would fit into this category as well.

I believe that 7 seconds is definitely possible. I would like to see my own 73.6cc engine into the 8's or better!
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:34 am

Yes, its at 8.3@76MPH now. I think the scoot has 7,s in it with some more tuning.

I agree, electrics are the biggest up and coming, new breed racing scene.
Its in our future to run electrics more. It just makes sense IMO.

Give people like us an electric scooter and by golly we will race it!

Ide love to see pics, details, etc on that ele Vino of yours!
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:47 am

I'm pretty sure snoopy went 8.3 at 77mph...

there were at least two other bikes in the low 9's. one of which I had to race on my 80cc elite that ran its best time ever at 11.0 seconds at 58mph... and the elite is still in the same class as them...

the 250, which I thrashed for a month to complete in time for twist and gone, doesn't have a clear class it fits in... and would be uncompetitive in any class that it might possibly fit in...

I'm really interested to hear more about your electric conversion also... and I'm sure if you show up with it they'll let you run it.....

ICE-Killer

Postby ICE-Killer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:54 am

I would really like to come up for the race but want to make sure I will be allowed to race in some class. How many people do you think will be in the 400/700cc class

ICE-Killer

Postby ICE-Killer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:40 am

I need to make a video of the Vino in its current condition, but I did put a video on youtube of it when I first got it running last year. In this video I race my friends Dodge Hemi truck. I had the power set to 30%, it is now running at 75% power. I would like to turn it up to 100% but it is a fight to keep the front wheel down at 75%. Don't want to put a wheelie bar on it as it looks very stock now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Zi_VSKIloI

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:16 pm

This is the first time anyone has mentioned electric scooters. If you get enough people interested we'll race em'.

The reason we did the outlaw class the way we did is to limit the motorcycle builders from throwing HD motors in Cushmans and such. I doubt anything will touch Roberts time this season even with a 400cc 2t engine.

We limited the wheelbase so that it's hard to get a competitive advantage with horsepower alone.

Daniel you can run up to three bikes with your registration. The 250 you have may be competitive in the 4T Unlimited class. That and you can run your other bikes in the classes they fit in.

Enviromoto

Important links

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:20 pm

Facebook Event

https://www.facebook.com/events/421451357989244/

NASRA Facebook Group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/USAScooterRacing/

Join the conversation and help us develop the sport.

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:25 pm

DanielO. wrote:there were at least two other bikes in the low 9's. one of which I had to race on my 80cc elite that ran its best time ever at 11.0 seconds at 58mph... and the elite is still in the same class as them...

Actually the two green bikes are now classified as sprinters. If the floorboard and everything don't fit together to resemble the actual scooter instead of a tube frame with some plastic loosely covering it.

Also remember all classes are +/- 5cc. Meaning you would fit into the 75cc 2T class which you'll be very competitive in.

Please contact me directly if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Jeremy Hall

(317) 938-5021
usascooterracing@gmail.com

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:27 pm

DanielO. wrote:and generally "outside the box" builds are highly scrutinized...

Don't be silly. We encourage innovation. As long as it don't lead us down the road to motorcycle racing. We decided to keep it scooter racing and in doing so we require you to run a scooter engine.

Now if you want to go nuts and build a monster you're welcome to do so in the Outlaw class. As long as it fits into a scooter frame.

ICE-Killer

Postby ICE-Killer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:36 pm

Enviromoto wrote:

Don't be silly. We encourage innovation. As long as it don't lead us down the road to motorcycle racing. We decided to keep it scooter racing and in doing so we require you to run a scooter engine.

Now if you want to go nuts and build a monster you're welcome to do so in the Outlaw class. As long as it fits into a scooter frame.

I don't care what class I run in, I just want to race other scooters. I understand not wanting to turn this into motorcycle racing and that's why I made sure I kept the stock look on my vino. Is the unlimited class the same as the 400/700cc class?

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:58 pm

ICE-Killer wrote:I need to make a video of the Vino in its current condition, but I did put a video on youtube of it when I first got it running last year. In this video I race my friends Dodge Hemi truck. I had the power set to 30%, it is now running at 75% power. I would like to turn it up to 100% but it is a fight to keep the front wheel down at 75%. Don't want to put a wheelie bar on it as it looks very stock now.

HOLY CRAP!!!! you should do a build thread.. I wanna see!!! what kind of range do you get on that?

ICE-Killer

Postby ICE-Killer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:15 pm

DanielO. wrote:
ICE-Killer wrote:I need to make a video of the Vino in its current condition, but I did put a video on youtube of it when I first got it running last year. In this video I race my friends Dodge Hemi truck. I had the power set to 30%, it is now running at 75% power. I would like to turn it up to 100% but it is a fight to keep the front wheel down at 75%. Don't want to put a wheelie bar on it as it looks very stock now.

HOLY CRAP!!!! you should do a build thread.. I wanna see!!! what kind of range do you get on that?

I really need to put a collection of videos and pictures together for you guys. I can't wait for the spring nationals, talked to Jeremy today about running this at the race. Hope there's a good turnout. I have gone about 40 miles on a charge. I'm going to try to take this to the track here in Palm Beach and see what it will do.

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:30 pm

Awesome! 40 miles is pretty good for something that quick... I'm curious as to what motor and batteries and speed control you're using... but I can wait for a dedicated thread...

I'll be focusing my efforts on helping Josh, so his bike is ready and everything gets done around the shop... Neither one of my scooters will be there... I might bring something to the test-n-tune on Friday night that I don't have to mess with...

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:19 pm

ICE-Killer wrote:Don't want to put a wheelie bar on it as it looks very stock now.

I just had a nerdgasam. That thing is wicked! I agree with Daniel - we want to see more!

Enviromoto wrote:

Don't be silly.

I love what NASRA is doing, and I have to give you mad props for the years of hosting these events, the TnG races, the Antisocial club, etc, all while being a family man and holding down the fort at enviromoto. You have massive respect for that. As you know I am also running a business raising a family, and trying to maintain the site with a few events and such and I'm not sure I could do a good job with the added work of hosting races and putting on the big events like you do. Way to go!

I don't think that Daniel's being silly honestly. I have a 50cc Honda Express with a 50cc Minarelli engine in it from a Beamer. The way the rules look, I can surely race it no problem, but it'd be in the Outlaw class or perhaps 2t Unlimited also. Hey, I'm okay with that. My stepson can ride it and get his feet wet with racing and enjoy himself, but we're doing a stock engine with porting, Leo Vince exhaust, head work, etc. Not exactly competitive with the bigger builds of the outlaw class. That said, I might just port up an Airsal cylinder and throw it into the regular 70cc class. I guess it's still up in the air. :)

I am sure that over the years there will be many changes. Some that people will love, some that others will hate. Can't make everyone happy I know... I'm looking forward to the future of the sport though, and I'm glad that scooter racing has a foothold in the US. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that NASRA has raised scooter racing awareness in the States to a level unprecedented in the past.

For kicks, I wanna race my 50cc MB5 against a Grom or two next year. :P

Hey, what's the "Must Retain Stock Appearance" rule break down to? For instance, my Super 9 for the first couple years I raced it had no body work on it at all, and had many things removed for weight reduction. Now it's got body work on it, but doesn't really resemble stock at all... Clearly there was no problem being allowed to race it, but I'm curious as to just where the line is drawn with the "stock appearance" bit. I thought it might be covered in the rulebook, but somehow I can't find it. :(

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:23 pm

Oh, by the way! I'm working on an exciting gig for the cookout! We're even thinking of a breakfast the next morning before racing. So far I'm thinking if we plan to feed 50ish people we'll be allright, but honestly I can see the event being larger than that... I will announce details when I get them all hammered out. Still have to call my buddy to finalize things, but they're booked for NASRA on the 25th and 26th. :)

~Josh

Return to “Races, Gatherings and Rides”