Scooter Drag Racing: Piedmont Dragway October 14

Racing? Riding? Want to meet up with other enthusiasts? You can post rides and gatherings here!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, mikal

Areomyst
Site Admin

Scooter Drag Racing: Piedmont Dragway October 14

Postby Areomyst » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:49 am

The September Test N Tune has been rescheduled to October 14, Sunday. I called the track manager to make sure everything would be okay, and we are welcome to come out! Full faced helmets, leather or armored riding jackets, and gloves are required to run.

I have room in my truck for two people and three scooters, but I can also bring a trailer for a total capacity of 5 scooters. Extra people need to find a ride, or scoot on out.

Looking forward to an awesome time! I believe everyone's going to see some improvement in their ET's from last time, as everyone has been tuning since the last race.

Our friends in Indiana are going to be running the same day! We'll be giving' em a ring to let them know how we're doing. :)

Any participants who want to get active on the NASRA's forum are encouraged to do so: http://nasra.proboards.com/

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:51 am

I'll call closer to the date to find out what time we can show up. As it's on a Sunday, I intend to show up and run all day until they kick me out, or my engine explodes. :) Whichever comes first.

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm

Looks like it's weather hitting our brothers in the Central US, and whack schedules and a kidney stone hitting us here. :( I'm still trying to make it out tonight, but it's starting to look grim!

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:16 pm

Well, we made up for last weekend this weekend!

Daniel O, and myself went out with our sprinters, and a couple of other guys joined us once we were there. One of the fellows had some trouble with his bike (he had just changed over to alcohol I believe) and didn't race. We had a nice time, and I'm glad we went!

Loaded, and ready to go! In a minivan. Hah! Who'd have thunk it? As if the minivan thing weren't bad enough, I apparently drive like one of them "damn yankees"! :P

Daniel and Randal.

This decal all by itself improved my ET by about a second, and nearly 10 miles per hour!

I didn't take too many photos. They were running a race for the cars at the same time as the Test N Tune, so we didn't get as many passes as we normally would. There was still a good time to be had, and plenty of improvements were had by all!

Stay tuned. We'll be doing this again soon.

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:29 pm

Can't forget to add in the golden ticket!

Both Daniel and my own best ET are on this slip. Believe it or not, he's still running stock gears! Daniel's Elite is really kicking ass, and I think that in the near future it's going to give Cloud 9 a hell of a time at that last speed trap.

2strokd

Postby 2strokd » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:36 pm

WoW!! Major improvements guys! Great work. Those ET,s are killer!

Im glad to see those 8) . Great times!
The CVT is seriously underestimated by some!
01 CPI Misketo MZ49cc to70 to103cc-Drag scooter
03 Kymco Cobra (SF10)49cc- Daily driver

DanielO.

Postby DanielO. » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:37 pm

Thanks! I feel really good about my gains.... Josh blew me away though, 63mph?!?! GEARs, Gears, my kingdom for some gears!!!! :lol:

ricksmiley

Postby ricksmiley » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Do you guys run an 1/4 mile? And your end speeds are around 60 mph?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

ricksmiley wrote:Do you guys run an 1/4 mile? And your end speeds are around 60 mph?

1/8 mile. Still, there are scooters out there that are a lot faster than ours! Like yours for instance... ;)

~Josh

ricksmiley

Postby ricksmiley » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:11 am

I didnt mean it like that but i'm interested in your tournements,
But thanks after all, what kind of times do you roll over there?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:16 am

ricksmiley wrote:I didnt mean it like that but i'm interested in your tournements,
But thanks after all, what kind of times do you roll over there?

My scooter is checking in around 15 HP, and is completing 1/8 mile (about 201 meters) in 10.3+ seconds. I believe that I can sneak into the high 9's with some more CVT tuning. I've had some small problems with my clutch, and have modified it in a way that I can't undo. :) Before I retire this cylinder though, I want to try for 18+ HP. I was told by a representative at a reputable company that 18HP was impossible on the Kymco engine without switching over the Minarelli parts - therefore 18 has become my goal to beat. :) Switching to a Mina cylinder and custom crank is something I want to do someday, but for now I believe in making do with what I have. There is some more tuning to do in this cylinder, for sure.

2stroked lives quite a ways away from Daniel and I, but he's competing out in Indiana with his Mina drag bike. He's getting mid 9 second ET's with tuned Taiwan parts, etc. He's doing very well!

In October of next year, many of us will complete a 1200+ mile round-trip to Brown County Indiana where the 2013 Twist N Gone scooter drag races will take place. There are some really exciting engines being developed just for this event! Perhaps by then I'll have a Yamaha Jog in the stable. :)

I'll let Daniel chime in on his own Honda Elite. He's doing an absolutely fantastic job with that engine, and there's more to come from him soon! I can't wait to see some of the exhausts that he's designing.

Just so you know, the Dutch are one of the biggest influences on my addiction to scooters. I used to visit scooterforum.net before we started Scooter Invasion. I met Big B NRG there, and he has helped me out over many years. My gratitude is beyond words. :)

Long live 2t!

~Josh

Return to “Races, Gatherings and Rides”