Fancy taking a scooter to the Himalayas?

Racing? Riding? Want to meet up with other enthusiasts? You can post rides and gatherings here!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, mikal

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:26 am

Be safe :)

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:30 pm

THE FINAL CHAPTER

Kashmir is a much changed place from even 5 years ago. There is no army in the city and much less visible even in the countryside. The valley is bursting with tourism and things are pretty normal now.

The thing that has not changed is its beauty. Starting from Sonamarg all the way to Banihal, it is picture postcard setting. Head towards Gulmarg and you enter what will feel like the French or Austrian Alps. Head towards the international border and it keeps getting more exotic. Don't expect to see much from the highway, though. The Srinagar - Jammu is one of the busiest highways with a LOT of truck traffic on a road that is not particularly wide.

The journey back from Srinagar to Delhi is one of increasing ease. The twisting mountain roads slowly give way to wide open highways. You enter the green and yellow fields of Punjab growing mustard, wheat and what not. Feel free to stop anywhere and just wander into the fields, have a meal with the farmer (who will very happily share it with you) or freshen up at one of the water pumps. The journey was a little boring given what I had experienced in Ladakh but was made eventful by the name of the event.

Wobbly Wheels Rally finally stood up to its name as the front wheel of my scooter started to wobbly dangerously. I just had to stop after a point. The enitre wheel assembly out, checked and straightened up, it took over a couple of hours for me to be fully satisfied with it. The Vespa has performed amazingly well. Apart from the troubles on Rohtang Pass (which were very many), it has not shown signs of slowing down at all. What a machine!

As I reach home, there is much jubiliation with friends and family. Inside, however, is a different feeling. I don't feel like jumping on the roof shouting, "I did it!". I am strangely calm, the entire experience of having done this is very surreal. Portions of it are flashing in front of my eyes. I tell stories from the trip to everyone. But no one will be able to experience what I experienced unless they are there. I finally understand why people are mad about riding and exploring. I am finally a traveler.

I will be putting up the notification for the 2013 rally soon on this board. Keep your eyes open.

Wobbly Wheels Rally stands up to its name

Shalimar & Nishat Garden at Srinagar

The Dal Lake, the beating heart of Srinagar

Gulmarg

The various types of traffic you will meet between Srinagar & Jammu

Getting into the plains

dirtyd

Postby dirtyd » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Much respect for your journies! You have done something most people only dream about.
'05 MZ Moskito
'06 SYM Jet Euro X 72cc
'09 Kymco Agility 50
'?? POS chinese gy6 junk
Tacos

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:30 pm

Thank you everyone for following me on this journey. This has been one hell of a ride, one that I never thought I will ever do. In the end, it was so much more than just a road trip. It is on journeys like this that one starts believing in a lot of stuff. Like the sheer enormity of nature in front of everything we can build. Like the inherent goodness of heart of people you meet on the road. Like the belief that if you can dream it, you can do it.

Anyway, if you had seen the links in the signature, you would have noticed that this was the first edition of an annual scooter rally through the mountains. Registrations for the next one are now open. I have created another thread for the same here.

Hope to see you on the road someday!

Return to “Races, Gatherings and Rides”