Fancy taking a scooter to the Himalayas?

Racing? Riding? Want to meet up with other enthusiasts? You can post rides and gatherings here!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, mikal

unreasonablejourneys

Fancy taking a scooter to the Himalayas?

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:25 am

We did! The Wobbly Wheels Rally 2012 has started climbing the Himalayan heights. Rain, mud and landslides - 6 days and we have already faced all this. We are tracking the rally's progress on this link. Check it out

Wobbly Wheels Rally 2012 | Live Updates

zombie

Postby zombie » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:09 pm

Amazing undertaking. Several years ago 2 fellas crossed Europe/Asia on a pair of Honda NC 50's. They inspired me to get into the hobby/sport. Cudo's on the fortitude/courage to do this, and Thanks for posting. I'll be following your progress. Godspeed!
Addicted to 2 stroke 50cc:
I don't use the choke. I warm my fuel in a spoon, and inject it into the vacuum line.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:29 pm

zombie wrote:Amazing undertaking. Several years ago 2 fellas crossed Europe/Asia on a pair of Honda NC 50's. They inspired me to get into the hobby/sport. Cudo's on the fortitude/courage to do this, and Thanks for posting. I'll be following your progress. Godspeed!

Agreed!

Hey, didn't you post something like this before here on Scooter Invasion? Perhaps under a different name? I seem to vaguely remember some similar adventure. :)

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:24 pm

Areomyst wrote:
zombie wrote:Amazing undertaking. Several years ago 2 fellas crossed Europe/Asia on a pair of Honda NC 50's. They inspired me to get into the hobby/sport. Cudo's on the fortitude/courage to do this, and Thanks for posting. I'll be following your progress. Godspeed!

Agreed!

Hey, didn't you post something like this before here on Scooter Invasion? Perhaps under a different name? I seem to vaguely remember some similar adventure. :)

~Josh

Are you asking me? I am afraid this is my first time here. I do, however, hope that there have been more than enough crazy people to have conjured up this adventure before.

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:25 pm

Let me take you on this trip with me....

Wobbly Wheels Rally 2012 | Live Updates

More tomorrow....
Last edited by unreasonablejourneys on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

zombie

Postby zombie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:43 pm

I was wondering about fuel but didn't want to sound stupid. I couldn't imagine many gas stations out there. I wonder if they have those roller cooked hot dogs?
Addicted to 2 stroke 50cc:

I don't use the choke. I warm my fuel in a spoon, and inject it into the vacuum line.

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:40 am

zombie wrote:I was wondering about fuel but didn't want to sound stupid. I couldn't imagine many gas stations out there. I wonder if they have those roller cooked hot dogs?

Between Keylong and Leh, there is a 400 km long stretch of gravel roads where there are no fuel pumps. Ironically, this is also the stretch which gives you least fuel consumption due to a lot of clutch action. Most carry jerry cans for additional fuel. Motorcycles with 13 - 15 litre tanks are able to complete it with just a small injection. Our scooter needed a full 10 litre can to be carried.

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:41 am

Heading into the mountains ....

Wobbly Wheels Rally | Live Updates

The Kullu Tunnel

That moment when you realize just how insignificant you are in the mountains

The river follows you all the way

First attempt to cross Rohtang Pass

Mud and slush everywhere

Yes, this was the surface!

More soon ...

Enviromoto

Postby Enviromoto » Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:21 am

Awesome!

mikal

Postby mikal » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

That is awesome!
Good intensions, poor results.

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:21 am

The first approach to Rohtang Pass was marred by multiple landslides from the recent rains. There was mud everywhere. The road was slippery. The traffic jam was mammoth. Starting at 7 am in the morning, I kept waiting till 3 pm when the road finally opened. It was too late for today.

The biggest surprise waited for me back at Manali. I took the scoot for repairs and the guy made the usual enquiries about what I am doing with a scooter in these areas. Upon learning that I was going to Leh on that in this weather, he simply refused to take any money for the repairs.

Everyone loves a great adventure!

The next day, I started again. The weather and road surface was no better. But the landslides had been cleared. Just take a look...

On the other side, things were much better.

Next report... The incredible Manali Leh Highway!

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:43 am

On the other side of Rohtang Pass, the weather was much better. It was bright and sunny and just the right amount of cold. The scooter was doing alright even after the battering received on that godforsaken mountain pass. Keylong was in sight.

In Keylong, the first bout of health problems cropped up. I had difficulty breathing and blood pressure was fluctuating from time to time. Eventually, I headed to a doctor. He mentioned this is a common problems among bicycle and motorcycle riders in these areas. That didn't help much. Anyway, the next morning I was on the road again.

The road surface fluctuated between awesome to nightmarish to everything in between. Flat tar roads were interspersed with gravel filled surfaces. I spent two nights in a massive deserted institute out of a horror movie and a tent in the middle of nowhere. The fog lamp fell off. The mirror turned the other way. There was much rattling. But the incredible views of Ladakh more than made up for the pain of riding.

I stayed a day in Leh and decided to visit two of my targets over the next three days.

Khardung La is considered the highest motorable road in the world. At an elevation of 18380ft/5602m, this is one of the most extreme points of the world. The scoot, however, made it without any whimpering. It did show signs of slowing down and giving up but the little warrior kept going.

On the downhill journey, the headlight gave up. It was dark. The road was slippery from rain and recent blasting to create a new road. I found a little space in the middle of an army convoy to ensure I can see through the creeping darkness. One lovely ride.

The next stop was Pangong Tso. One of the most fantastically located and largest lakes in the world. Over 140kms in length and straddling two countries, the thing you will never forget about this lake is the colour of the water. Its a shade of blue I have never seen before. It is fantastic.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:22 am

Absolutely incredible! Did you find yourself having to rejet much up there? 18,000 feet is up there. :) These pictures are fantastic, and you journey is even more so!

So what got you started into scooters, and what compelled you to go on this ride?

Much respect!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:52 am

Having gone around Leh for the last one week, I decided to explore new grounds. Leh is a barren, moon-like, high altitude desert. Very little grows here and even the most fantastic views are stark.

In contrast, the Kashmir Valley is as green as they come. Full of chinar trees, flowers of every colour and size and babbling brooks everywhere, Kashmir is the stuff of dreams. However, the chequered past of Kashmir has always prevented too many people from visiting. Though this may sound insensitive, but thanks to the security issues, Kashmir is still largely unspoilt. Things have changed for the better in the last few years. No attacks have been reported in years. Army has slowly withdrawn from the city and has dismantled bunkers. There is still massive presence of the armed forces but the city and the valley is no longer on the tenterhooks.

To get to Kashmir from Ladakh, one crosses Kargil. A town on the crossroads of the old Silk Route from the middle east to China, Kargil is stamped on the map of India after the Kargil War of 1999 with Pakishtan. Barely a stone's throw away from the international border, Dras is probably the most dramatic stop along the way. A massive, well maintained war memorial stands in the middle of nowhere and overlooks the international border. Sign posts declaring "You are under observation by the enemy" ensue that your journey is never boring.

The Journey From Ladakh To Kargil

This is what happens to the hands inside the gloves after an hour of continuous rain.

There is so much stuff to be carried along, it is like I am on a honeymoon with my equipment :)

unreasonablejourneys

Postby unreasonablejourneys » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:54 am

Areomyst wrote:Absolutely incredible! Did you find yourself having to rejet much up there? 18,000 feet is up there. :) These pictures are fantastic, and you journey is even more so!

So what got you started into scooters, and what compelled you to go on this ride?

Much respect!

~Josh

Rejetting was very high on my mind. To my surprise, however, the scoot just kept going on and on without any signs of dying on me. The only time I had a bit of scare was climbing Tanglang La in the face of strong rain. But somehow it kept sucking in that little bit of air to keep it going.

Thanks for the encouraging words. Hope to see you someday on this side of the Himalayas.

Return to “Races, Gatherings and Rides”