Best way to secure a Burgman 400?

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

skye1263

Best way to secure a Burgman 400?

Postby skye1263 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi everyone,
tomorrow my Burgman 400 will be delivered. I live in an apartment and there aren't any garages here. I have my little 50cc scooter that I keep in my living room lol. I don't have any problems bringing that in but I don't think the Burgman will fit through my door or that I am strong enough to push it in. So, there is a parking lot where my car is parked and I have never had any problems or any of the other tenants I think but I am worried leaving this outside. Does anyone have any decent suggestions of a good way to secure it? I did buy a cover and I have a NY kryptonite chain but I am not sure there is an area to lock it to anything. There is an area outside my door (where 4 apartment doors are) I might be able to keep it there but the apartment complex rules are nothing is to be stored in that area that could block the doors. I will go scout out someplace tomorrow but if anyone has suggestions, I would like to hear them. Thanks so much, Margaret

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: Best way to secure a Burgman 400?

Postby Areomyst » Sun May 28, 2017 5:09 pm

If you can't find any good place to secure scooter, perhaps getting one of those "bully pager" style motorcycle alarms. The NY Kryptonite chain is awesome (and HEAVY!), but of course it doesn't do too much good if you can't chain the scoot to anything. The bully pager locks have a small pager that clips to your key ring. If the bike moves, the bully pager will "page" you and your key ring will beep and notify you that something's going on. It may be worth checking out if you haven't found anything yet. Grated, it's been over a month since you originally posted - so I assume that you did sort out the problem of securing your bike. If you haven't, I hope the above suggestions help. If you have, what did you end up doing? A lot of folks with a bike as heavy as a Burgman simply cover the scoot and lock the steering.

Kind Regards,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

alex02

Postby alex02 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:31 pm

Great tips from above. I've seen couple of videos of bikes being loaded on the truck or van easily. Chaining the tires or disk brake lock could help as well.

skye1263

Postby skye1263 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Josh and Alex,
thank you for writing some tips. What I have been doing so far is I put one of the bully throttle locks on, a bully disc lock and also NY kryptonite chain around the front wheel and then cover it. I did buy one of the kryptonite stronghold anchor but now I am just trying to find a good place to install it. I live in an apartment complex and the building owners said I could put it down but I don't know the best spot. If I put it in a parking spot, there is no guarantee another tenant won't come along and park on top of it and then it will be useless to me. I live in the end building though so there isnt much traffic back there. I have lived here 3 years and I don't think anyones cars have ever been bothered but I still would like to put that down. Maybe I will just have them put it in the parking space so at least I can feel a bit better that it is as secure as I can get it. I really love it and would hate for someone to lift it into a truck and drive away with it. I think I will look into the paging system you mentioned. I wish I had a garage, it would be a bit safer rather than just sitting out in the parking lot. Anyway, thanks so much for writing!

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:00 am

Maybe you could put your anchor down and then somehow attach a big road cone or a sign that reads "reserved" or somesuch. I know that wouldn't prevent some people from stealing the spot anyway, but it's worth a go!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

skye1263

Postby skye1263 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:55 pm

Thank you Josh-its worth giving it a try! Take care, Margaret

Return to “Scooter Workshop”