Handlebar heaters/battery question

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

The_Ty

Handlebar heaters/battery question

Postby The_Ty » Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi guys. Been riding my scooter for about a year now, though I'm not exactly a mechanic.

My Scooter is a Suzuki Address 110

Anyway with the cold weather setting in I decided to buy some handlebar heaters. Stupidly I didn't research properly beforehand, and I may have a problem. The battery outputs at 5Ah and the heaters take 4A to power. I'm told this is a problem as it doesn't leave much over for powering important stuff like headlights.

My concern is that if I do a 2 hour ride to my home town (which I do once a month) and the battery goes, I could be stuck in the middle of nowhere

So I'm wondering what the score is with this. Should I totally give it a miss? Or if I use the heater at a lower temperature will it take a lower draw from the battery?

My hands get really cold here after even just half an hour riding, so I'm also open to alternate suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

dan v

Re: Handlebar heaters/battery question

Postby dan v » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:10 pm

Of course, you could gain a little wiggle room by swapping out your bulbs for led's - but if the heaters draw all your juice.....

Fuel injected - don't think you can kick start if the battery is dead. We don't have that model here in the US, but looking at web pics I am surprised the Address 110 has a kick start.

Check out Hippo Hands or something like them. I had such things on my snowmobile years ago and was pleased that I could get by using light gloves. Just keeping the wind off the hands helps a lot.

Can't help you any more than that.
How many scoots is too many?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:59 pm

The_Ty wrote:My concern is that if I do a 2 hour ride to my home town (which I do once a month) and the battery goes, I could be stuck in the middle of nowhere

So I'm wondering what the score is with this. Should I totally give it a miss? Or if I use the heater at a lower temperature will it take a lower draw from the battery?

My hands get really cold here after even just half an hour riding, so I'm also open to alternate suggestions. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Welcome to the forum The_Ty! Thanks for posting.

I used to use heated gloves on one of my 50cc scooters that also had a 12v 4ah battery. The gloves would work really well for about a half hour, and then the battery would start to become depleted and cause the ignition to act up. I would ride with the gloves plugged in, and unplug them for a while while the battery recovered a little. This is obviously not the ideal way to go... If you find gloves with a temperature setting, it should be easier on the battery on lower settings.

You could get an extra battery, just in case, and then go for a long ride to see if your gloves deplete the battery. It doesn't hurt to have a spare.

Another option (and more practical in my opinion), is to put a volt meter on the battery while the engine is running and the gloves are plugged in. You can rev the engine up to see if the voltage at the battery increases to around 13.5 volts or so (sometimes 14) and if so you are likely not going to have trouble with charging.

Now I ride my Vespa GTS 250 and have the same heated gloves. I haven't had any trouble at all with the gloves or battery.

Another option, is to get heated gear that doesn't rely on the scooter's electronics. You can get battery packs for them that easily fit in a pocket or whatnot. Then, when you're at your destination you can simply plug the small batteries into the charger.

Let us know what you decide. It's nice to hear of other people's adventures!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

The_Ty

Postby The_Ty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:24 pm

dan v wrote:Of course, you could gain a little wiggle room by swapping out your bulbs for led's - but if the heaters draw all your juice.....

Fuel injected - don't think you can kick start if the battery is dead. We don't have that model here in the US, but looking at web pics I am surprised the Address 110 has a kick start.

Check out Hippo Hands or something like them. I had such things on my snowmobile years ago and was pleased that I could get by using light gloves. Just keeping the wind off the hands helps a lot.

Can't help you any more than that.

Thanks for the reply

Tried something similar to Hippo hands which helped a little, but in rain they're a nightmare. I had to constantly pull my hand out, wipe rain away, try to shove it back in the 'hippo hand'. Rinse and repeat

The_Ty

Postby The_Ty » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:26 pm

Areomyst wrote:
The_Ty wrote:My concern is that if I do a 2 hour ride to my home town (which I do once a month) and the battery goes, I could be stuck in the middle of nowhere

Thanks in advance guys

Welcome to the forum The_Ty! Thanks for posting.

I used to use heated gloves on one of my 50cc scooters that also had a 12v 4ah battery. The gloves would work really well for about a half hour, and then the battery would start to become depleted and cause the ignition to act up. I would ride with the gloves plugged in, and unplug them for a while while the battery recovered a little. This is obviously not the ideal way to go... If you find gloves with a temperature setting, it should be easier on the battery on lower settings.

You could get an extra battery, just in case, and then go for a long ride to see if your gloves deplete the battery. It doesn't hurt to have a spare.

Another option (and more practical in my opinion), is to put a volt meter on the battery while the engine is running and the gloves are plugged in. You can rev the engine up to see if the voltage at the battery increases to around 13.5 volts or so (sometimes 14) and if so you are likely not going to have trouble with charging.

Now I ride my Vespa GTS 250 and have the same heated gloves. I haven't had any trouble at all with the gloves or battery.

Another option, is to get heated gear that doesn't rely on the scooter's electronics. You can get battery packs for them that easily fit in a pocket or whatnot. Then, when you're at your destination you can simply plug the small batteries into the charger.

Let us know what you decide. It's nice to hear of other people's adventures!

~Josh

Cheers dude. I don't think heated gloves are meant for this scooter.

I've looked a little into heated glovesm which sound like a better solution than handlebar heaters but they're expensive.

For now I'm just gonna use hand warmers for longer rides until I can think of a more permanent solution. It's shame because this is about my last scooter hassle to deal with

Return to “Scooter Workshop”