Vespa/Piaggio lower bearing shell puller - Photos Included

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Areomyst
Site Admin

Vespa/Piaggio lower bearing shell puller - Photos Included

Postby Areomyst » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:10 pm

I am so pleased with my lower bearing race puller that I decided to show the tool. The Vespa manual usually instructs you to disassemble the fork a bit further than I have in the photos so that you can use a special punch and hammer to knock the lower bearing race off the steering stem. This puller from SIP (Part number 16561000 for anyone interested) makes the job so very much easier, I will not go back to the terrible punch!

IMG_2098.JPG
IMG_2098.JPG (626.66 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

The tool is installed over the steering stem, and the two piece collet is in place over the lower bearing's inside race and the grease cup. A tapered "retainer" ring then slides over the two segments and holds all the parts together.

IMG_2099.JPG
IMG_2099.JPG (500.28 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Above: The bearing race is being extracted.

IMG_2100.JPG
IMG_2100.JPG (754.44 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

In this photo you can see the parts of the puller, as well as the awful bearing race that I removed from this Vespa. :)

Interestingly enough, the old P125X/P200X manual depicted a tool similar to the SIP tool, whereas the 2005 P125X manual shoes the punch:
vespa tool 2005 PX manual.png
vespa tool 2005 PX manual.png (117.51 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Above: A screen shot from the 2005 P125X Workshop Manual

vespa tool VNX1T.VSX1T PX manual.png
vespa tool VNX1T.VSX1T PX manual.png (156.85 KiB) Viewed 3377 times

Above: The older scooter's workshop manual! Much easier, and less messing around!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

starreem

Re: Vespa/Piaggio lower bearing shell puller - Photos Included

Postby starreem » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:22 am

Cool tool. So how does that collar get under the bearing race? Does it twist and lock the two parts together?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:57 am

starreem wrote:Cool tool. So how does that collar get under the bearing race? Does it twist and lock the two parts together?

Thanks for the reply Starr!

The two half collars that touch the race the race just loosely fit around the bearing race on the stem, and the bottom of the long tubular part of the puller. Then the outside collar is slid down the entire assembly, and the tapers on the ID of the outer collar fits to the taper on the OD of the inner collar halves and helps hold everything together. This tool should work on just about any vintage Vespa and most Modern Vespas too, so far as I know.

I have another job to do with this tool in the near future. Perhaps I can make a video!

~Josh

wireburn

Postby wireburn » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:47 am

Pretty slick, Josh. I drool over all the cool tools you have made/bought over the years. Shows real dedication to your art and I salute you!

-Mike
2007 Ruckus BIG BORE
2002 Metropolitan II w/Ruckus Swingarm
2006 Yamati Strada RX8 103cc LC stroker, PG power pipe, Keihin PWK28, Custom Intake, V-Force3 MX Reeds, Polini 14/41, Malossi OR, DC conversion (Sold!)
2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic

starreem

Postby starreem » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Ahhh, your description makes sense. Now, the real question... will this tool on my Lambretta?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:30 pm

starreem wrote:Ahhh, your description makes sense. Now, the real question... will this tool on my Lambretta?

I don't know, I've never worked on a Lambretta - but you are welcome to bring it, or a fork by and give it a try!

~Josh

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:42 pm

I looked up some Lambretta forks on Google images, and it looks like they are quite different. They're more like most other scooters with two shocks on the fork, so a standard bearing puller with long threaded rod would likely work better. I often apply a bit of heat to the inner race before attempting removal so that the part heats up and is somewhat easier to remove. Sometimes if a steering stop or some such is in the way of a bearing puller tool you can just heat the race up and use a chisel punch to start working it off... I don't like using punches unless absolutely necessary though.

Another option is to clean up the stem very very well, and then weld a nice glob onto the race... It's likely that with that much heat, once you turn the stem upside down gravity will join your team and the race will just fall off. Of course, if you do that you can't reuse the race, but if it's being removed in the first place, I don't foresee re-using the race to ever be much of a consideration.

Cheers!

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Workshop”