Super 9 will not start

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Mikes 9

Super 9 will not start

Postby Mikes 9 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 pm

I have a kymco super 9 ac molassi big bore kit polini 17.5 carburetor 98 main jet got spark got gas no start help. Thanks

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: Super 9 will not start

Postby Areomyst » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:25 am

Welcome to the forum Mikes 9!

Any time you have a no-start situation you've got to get some information about what it's doing. With that information we can better help you. I often say "you have to get the facts", and that's exactly what you've got to do. In order to run, your engine needs:

Spark to the spark plug

Compression

Good Fuel

It sounds like you already checked spark and fuel...

All of the above items have to be delivered to the engine at the right time - but on the Super 9 there really isn't any timing adjustment that a typical user needs to worry about.

Compression is best checked with a compression gauge. If you don't have one, you can probably borrow or rent one from the auto parts store. The gauge threads into the spark plug hole, and then the engine is turned over with the throttle wide open. I'll have to make another post to let you know what the factory recommended compression is - I'm not in the workshop and don't want to go out there just to look it up. Usually though, I like to see around 130 or greater on most 50cc 2-strokes. Sometimes the factory spec is lower than that, so 130 is just a rough guideline. I often see 160 with a big-bore kit...

For a quick visual check, you can easily remove the exhaust and look up into the port and see the piston. It wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a look.

All the best!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”