15 MPH ADJUSTED VALVES AND CLEAND CARB NOW NO START

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

floyd2133

15 MPH ADJUSTED VALVES AND CLEAND CARB NOW NO START

Postby floyd2133 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:53 am

100 cc tao tao. Ran out of gas. Change spark plug. It started. Would not go pass 15 mph. Adjusted valves .004 and .005 and cleaned carb diaphragm bowl and jets . Now wont start. https://youtu.be/KM_C2rc0hc8 THIS IS A VIDEO LINK TO MY PROBLEM

wireburn

Re: 15 MPH ADJUSTED VALVES AND CLEAND CARB NOW NO START

Postby wireburn » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:55 am

Is that 100cc an upgraded cylinder? Most of those are absolute junk and you probably overheated it. Check compression.

-Mike
2007 Ruckus BIG BORE
2002 Metropolitan II w/Ruckus Swingarm
2006 Yamati Strada RX8 103cc LC stroker, PG power pipe, Keihin PWK28, Custom Intake, V-Force3 MX Reeds, Polini 14/41, Malossi OR, DC conversion (Sold!)
2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic

floyd2133

Postby floyd2133 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:11 am

wireburn

Postby wireburn » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:50 am

Sounds like it's cranking over very quickly. Did you check compression?

-Mike
2007 Ruckus BIG BORE

2002 Metropolitan II w/Ruckus Swingarm

2006 Yamati Strada RX8 103cc LC stroker, PG power pipe, Keihin PWK28, Custom Intake, V-Force3 MX Reeds, Polini 14/41, Malossi OR, DC conversion (Sold!)

2000 Harley-Davidson Road King Classic

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:21 am

Anytime you have a problem with a scooter (or I suppose anything else in life), it is key to get the facts. Without actually doing some minimal checks on your engine, and the systems that assist it's operation all we can do is speculate. Speculation is a wild goose chase, and unlikely to lead you to real results. You will need to:

Check compression - Usually the QMB139 engines run best between 160 and 200ish PSI. Yes, 200 is high, but I have seen it often. This is done by removing the spark plug, and threading in a compression tester gauge in it's stead. Then you crank the engine over till the needle on the gauge stops raising. Personally, I often do a cylinder leak down test in addition to this as the exhaust valves are so problematic on the QMB and GY6 engines.

Check spark - You want to see a nice bright blue/white spark jump the gap on the plug. You can do this by removing the plug, and grounding it to the frame or engine block. Turn the engine over. You should see a nice spark at the plug when doing so.

Check fuel - It sounds like you have already attempted to address any carburetor issues since you cleaned the carburetor, but it doesn't hurt to take a fuel sample. I like to take my fuel samples in a clear container so I can see if there are any contaminants in the fuel.

There are more checks that you can do, but the above are the 3 main ones that will be the most useful in a no-start situation.

If you do these things, and report back your findings we can help zero in on the actual problem. I realize this reply is late, and you may have already figured out what's wrong and be back on the road. If that is the case, please don't hesitate to share what you found, and what you did!

Kind Regards,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”