Drive belt help please

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Tpginkslinger

Drive belt help please

Postby Tpginkslinger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:09 pm

I have just replaced my drive belt and I think its the wrong size? Its a 2011 I think tao tao 50cc and I put a 669-18-30 belt on...had to fight it on and with the clutch peick all the way squeezed together all the way the belt all the way inside as far as it can go the belt is still tight....what size do I need? Please help me, this is my main form of transportation.

Tpginkslinger

Re: Drive belt help please

Postby Tpginkslinger » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:28 pm

OK I just opened up this other 50cc tao tao I got for a parts bike. Exact same bike...I have the right belt but its just not seating properly. I have tried the new belt I bought and also the belt off my parts bike. Same belt but I figured maybe the old prestreched one would work better but still no luck....any ideas? When I put either belt on I get the same results. It'll barely run and die when I let off the throttle. I take the belt off and it runs like a top

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: Drive belt help please

Postby Areomyst » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:04 am

Welcome to Scooter Invasion!

What size rear tires is on the scooter? A lot of the 12" wheel bike use a 729-18-30 instead of the 669. With the new belt installed it should nearly touch the drive boss on the variator (front pulley), which will be all the way open. The belt should come nearly all the way to the outside of the torque drive pulley (rear pulley).

When you replaced the drive belt, did you remove both pulleys to install it ? Many times if the drive belt breaks, the rollers will get stuck in the outermost position (high gear, so to speak) and can cause problems with the CVT working properly. I haven't seen the video yet, but a lot of people bring me scooters after replacing their drive belts after following a Youtube video that shows incorrect installation. Any time the belt is replaced, or even checked both pulleys should come off and be thoroughly inspected. Especially on the Chinese engines.

Cheers!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”