Gomoto nippo

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

mikeba

Gomoto nippo

Postby mikeba » Sat Apr 16, 2016 1:10 am

Hi
Do not see any mention of gomoto nippi 125 scooters. :lol:
What are the main problems with these bikes.
Thanks.

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: Gomoto nippo

Postby Areomyst » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:16 am

Hi Mikeba! Welcome to Scooter Invasion.

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with that particular brand - a quick Google search reveals it to be a GY6 powered Chinese scooter.,. I think you should mostly be on the lookout for valve issues, and be diligent about changing the engine oil. Exhaust bolts often stretch and loosen on the GY6, so it's not a bad idea to double check that they're all tight while you're changing the oil. On the engines that have a swingarm, the rear axle sometimes ships bent, and can cause the whole swingarm assembly to oscillate in a weird way. If this happens the exhaust will break prematurely. Changing the axle to one that is straight is the best fix. Take a look at where the fuel filter is located as well. If it's upstream of the fuel petcock (or pump, if it's equipped with that instead) then I like to add an extra filter downstream of the petcock. It seems like the diaphragms in the petcocks often have a small amount of deterioration, or perhaps it's just leftover trash from manufacturing - but it gets into the carburetor in short order and causes running issues. Often times on the newer Chinese stuff the carburetors are put together with hardware that makes it difficult to service. See here: http://www.scooterinvasion.net/forum/vi ... hp?p=33313 I usually recommend changing oil on the GY6 around every 1000 miles, and adjust the valves around every 3000.

In days past, I often saw a lot of issues with wheel bearings, crankshaft bearings, and camshaft bearings failing prematurely. IN the past few years though, I have seen very few of those issues on Chinese scooters with less than 8,000 kilometers on the clock.

Keep an eye on the vacuum and fuel lines. Chinese lines tend to dry-rot rather prematurely, and once a vacuum line splits it can leave you on the side of the road... It's a simple fix though - just replace it with high quality stuff!

I hope that the above information isn't too intimidating. Despite my general distaste for Chinese scooters, I have had to work on them a great deal - on a nearly weekly basis - and I have tried to outline some of the common issues that I have seen. On rare occasion I see people that don't follow maintenance guild lines well at all, and they put some 20k on the clock before major problems, but typically 8 to 10k is what I see on the clock when more troublesome problems show up.

That said, I hope you enjoy the ride! It's a sporty looking scooter. If you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I'm very busy at work a lot, and I'm also a family guy with kids and all that, so my replies may be delayed but I really do try to get on here to help people. :)

Kind Regards,

~Josh

PS: My first scooter was a Chinese one!
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”