What are some good scooters out there?

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Luvinlifenude

What are some good scooters out there?

Postby Luvinlifenude » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:35 am

What are good scooters to have to work on,customize etc?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: What are some good scooters out there?

Postby Areomyst » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:06 am

Scooters with a Minarelli or Piaggio 2-stroke really respond well to performance modifications. Some of these bikes include:

Minarelli
Yamaha Jog
Yamaha Zuma
Yamaha Vino
Aprilia SR50 (2002ish)
E-ton Beamer
Adly Thunderbike (and various other Adly scoots)
Malaguti F10, F12, F12 Phantom, Yesterday...
Misc. older Chinese bikes, like the Vento Triton, Vento Zip, etc...

Piaggio
Piaggio Typhoon
Vespa ET2
Derbi GP1
2009 SR50 - but they're fuel injected and require gutting all the crappy injection parts to convert to carburetor to make a good tuning platform.

Other options that are popular in the US, but less ideal than the above bikes (I'm sure I missed some, by the way) are the Kymco Super 9, Honda Elite, Genuine Buddy/Rough House...

Of course, if you're not looking for a 2-stroke that can easily be made to perform like crazy, the Honda Ruckus is probably one of the most sought after scooters for style customizations!

Is there something in particular that you want to do with a scoot? Perhaps with more information on your goals we can help better.

Kind Regards,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Luvinlifenude

Postby Luvinlifenude » Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:19 pm

Actually Josh i am looking to make torque and performance.not crazy but im chubby guy and hills out here are killing me i drop like 20 miles an hour or so.is this a qmb or something else?so knowing what im looking for what would you suggest?
20160425_201955.jpg
20160425_201955.jpg (2.19 MiB) Viewed 3519 times

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:55 pm

Luvinlifenude wrote:Actually Josh i am looking to make torque and performance.not crazy but im chubby guy and hills out here are killing me i drop like 20 miles an hour or so.is this a qmb or something else?so knowing what im looking for what would you suggest?
20160425_201955.jpg

Yeah, that's a standard issue QMB139 engine. Some places call it a GY650 also. On those engines an upgraded cylinder is a good way to get more power and maintain speed uphills. You can get them pretty cheap on eBay and there's probably plenty of videos on Youtube showing how to do the work. I have a "pictorial" showing disassembly of a QMB engine here: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3091 (keep in mind, you won't need to tear one down that far to replace the cylinder).

There are plenty of other things you can do with that engine to make more power, but the cylinder is going to make the biggest difference. Even just a 72cc will usually make a satisfactory difference for many people.

If you really want to build a monster (and don't want to switch to 2-stroke) then the "GY6 Tuning Bible" is a very handy resource. It's in German, but you can copy/paste into Google Translate: viewtopic.php?t=3661

It's also a good idea to double check your CVT components and make sure they are all in good working order. You'll want to check both pulleys for wear and make sure they operate smoothly. The roller weights should be round, without flat spots, and the drive boss and the bushing it fits into on the variator should fit together nicely without a lot of radial free play.

All the best,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Luvinlifenude

Postby Luvinlifenude » Mon May 02, 2016 3:55 pm

Well thank you josh i appreciate your help.i was thinking about trying to go to a 100 cc big bore kit.other than the kit do you think i should switch to a high performance cdi?what else should i upgrade doing the big bore kit ?

Return to “Scooter Workshop”