What are best ways to make a scooter faster

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Luvinlifenude

What are best ways to make a scooter faster

Postby Luvinlifenude » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:28 am

I have a tao tao( i know i know dont laugh).what are good ways to make it faster,i have read so many different things.i read about the variator,big bore kit,cdi,cutting a wire,etc.i want help on hills and torque but wouldnt mind more speed either lol.any suggestions?

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: What are best ways to make a scooter faster

Postby Areomyst » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:17 am

Luvinlifenude wrote:I have a tao tao( i know i know dont laugh).what are good ways to make it faster,i have read so many different things.i read about the variator,big bore kit,cdi,cutting a wire,etc.i want help on hills and torque but wouldnt mind more speed either lol.any suggestions?

I work on these Tao Tao scooters on nearly a daily basis. There's no wire to cut to get an improvement in speed, so ignore that.

I think that the best bang for the buck to get more speed on these is unfortunately a big bore kit. You can also install a better camshaft and get better performance as well! In order to really make a difference in speed you'll have to do some CVT tuning and possibly change the gears.

If you do ever crack your engine open, make sure to spend plenty of time going over your valves, and lap them properly! The valves are a big failure point on those engines... With proper lapping, they will last a lot longer.

Here is a link to what I believe is the most comprehensive QMB50/GY650 tuning advice you can find. rasputin did hundreds of dyno runs, hours and hours of R&D, and ended up building an engine that set records for that style of engine! The team brought home the first place trophy to boot. It's in German, but you can look at a lot of the pictures, and Google Translate can help if you want to read it:
viewtopic.php?t=3661

Cheers!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

greg531

Postby greg531 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:05 am

I bet you do work on tao tao's a lot, Areomyst.... :lol:
What I would tell him, if it is a daily driver, is to get a 125/170 Buddy, Piaggio, Vespa, Honda, Yamaha or Kymco.....if he wants to go faster.....
To build them right with a kit, you might as well buy a good scooter for the money he is have put in it.....
1963 Vespa GL-150
2009 Aprilia Scarabeo 200
2005 Typhoon with:
70cc Corsa Kit
Laser Pro-X exhaust
4.0 gram Dr. Pulley sliders
20.5 Delorto carb
80 jet

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:27 am

greg531 wrote:I bet you do work on tao tao's a lot, Areomyst.... :lol:
What I would tell him, if it is a daily driver, is to get a 125/170 Buddy, Piaggio, Vespa, Honda, Yamaha or Kymco.....if he wants to go faster.....
To build them right with a kit, you might as well buy a good scooter for the money he is have put in it.....

Excellent advice for sure. :) Thanks for chiming in Greg!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”