1966 VBC, Intermittent Spark, 12v conversion

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

charleslabri

1966 VBC, Intermittent Spark, 12v conversion

Postby charleslabri » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:52 pm

Hello!!!

Ive been riding along with little need for anything since 2009. The intenational scooter bbs is gone!

anyway, you all look like a great crew.

Yesterday, I had a terrible time! Headed off on the scoot down 5 blocks of san francisco hills, it just all the sudden died on me.
I thought maybe fuel, but the carb was getting fuel.
I coudnt get it to start, so i took took the plug cap off and kicked it with the wire to the coil just off the plug, and no spark.

I checked for loose or burned out wires in the loom at the back of the motor, everything looked good.

I ended pushing it back up those hills home (ugh).

Today i did a little investigating. Brought it out and it fired right up.
Turned it off, did a spark test (same method as before) and it sparked. I drove it up the street, one block and it just died.. spark test, no spark.

My first thought is that its the CDI on the 12v conversion kit. But then I was thinking maybe the coil.

Anyone shed any light on this? Similar stories?
---

1966 VBC (super!)

charleslabri

Postby charleslabri » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:09 pm

just an FYI, i had a spare CDI. I replaced it, still the same problem. So I am looking at either the coil or the regulator/rectifier.

still no ideas?
---

1966 VBC (super!)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:53 pm

Perhaps your pickup coil is getting hot and not working. I've got a P200E in the shop right now that I have tried a CDI/Coil on, thinking it would solve an intermittent spark issue. I had no luck.

Then I soldered a new wire from the pickup coil to the CDI, and the bike ran great! A few days later when the weather got warmer and the rain went away, the bike was back to the same old problem... I should have the pickup coil back in soon.

What conversion kit are you using? My only experinece from stock on Vintage Vespas is with the Malossi VesPower, and I like it a lot. I read (I think from Jonathan Gick at Gickspeed - but I could be wrong!) that the VesPower uses the same regulator and CDI as the Vespatronic... I'm not sure though, as it was a while ago...

I wish I could be a more concrete help. Keep us posted though!

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

charleslabri

Postby charleslabri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:03 pm

Thanks for the reply. Im using the Bajaj kit from scooterworks. I put this on about 8 years ago. I guess its just time for a cheap kit like that to fail.

I dont have a lot of awesome to say about scooterworks, so I wont say anything except I might just go back to points.

The vespower unit needs a PX style shaft, and Ive got the normal vintage style. Ive asked around and the most promising lead is from the guys over at Scooter Mercato, saying there might be a custom stator rig i could put in, if I was up to the rewiring of my own stator- I am following that lead.

At this point I am pretty sure its the stator, I was reading (and talking) to some quality scooter folks (Bello Moto, SF) and they said they were aware of these Bajaj kits and saw them fail a lot.

Been down without my scoot for three weeks. Sucks, as its my daily rider. But what can I say? I am daily riding on a 50 year old scooter.
---

1966 VBC (super!)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Is it this kit? Scooter Works

I wonder if you can just change your supply coil on the stator: (Part shown is unlikely to be the right one - guess that would take some better research than what I've been able to do at the moment)
http://www.sip-scootershop.com/en/produ ... +_15897400

It's certainly cheaper than a whole new kit, and maybe worth the trouble to try... But being down for 3 weeks sure does stink.

Have you checked the resistance of the supply coil? Offhand, I don't know what the proper spec should be.

charleslabri

Postby charleslabri » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:53 pm

yeah, i dont have any specs, or a working one.. so i have no idea. Though I am sure that once I can get scooterworks to ship one to me, I can build a better one.
---

1966 VBC (super!)

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: 1966 VBC, Intermittent Spark, 12v conversion

Postby Areomyst » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Any updates on this one? If you get a chance to measure the source coil on the stator I'd b happy to compare it with some of the ones I have on other bike sin the shop.

~Josh

Return to “Scooter Workshop”