Starting issue

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

JaxRhapsody

Starting issue

Postby JaxRhapsody » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:01 pm

When I start it, it seems like the battery completly dies, yet when I go to kick start it, it'll engage on the second kick. Not sure if it's the battery(duralast), or the starter.
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Areomyst
Site Admin

Postby Areomyst » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:35 pm

Refresh my memory. Which bike do you have again?

There's several components in the electric start system that can act up. If you aren't sure about the battery though, take it to a local auto parts shop. They will usually test it for free on a fancy computer gizmo that will load test it, and provide a nice little printout showing all kinds specs.

Apart from that, there are brake switches, starter buttons, starter relays, cables (including ground wires) and of course the starter. There's also a starter bendix or starter clutch depending on which kind of scooter you have.

If you can get some more info (if you haven't already solved the problem) get it up here and I'll try to help as time allows. I'm always pretty busy with my work and home life, but I do try to get on here when I can. :)

Kind Regards,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”