tgb r50x??

Post questions about anything from latest and greatest automatics, to the tried and true vintage scooters!

Moderators: SLOWRIDER, Areomyst, scootertrog

Triesandluth

tgb r50x??

Postby Triesandluth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:55 pm

Anyone here ride, or have rode, a TGB R50X? I'm looking at buying one from someone and would like to hear some opinions. It seems like a great ride, dual disc brakes, 2t Moroni engine, sharp styling. I'm really into the two strokes, being a proud super 9 owner, and won't settle for a four stroke now.

Any input is appreciated!
-2005 Super 9 LC 70cc malossi, 19mm arreche carb, malossi variator, tecnigas rs 2, other mods and goodies
-2006 TGB R50X 70cc tecnigas next r, polini reed block and Spacer, other mods
-Taotao Duster Monster 50cc

dan v

Postby dan v » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:41 pm

Pretty rare scoot, never seen one in the flesh. If it fits you, and the price is right go for it - I'm sure you know the downside...

I don't think TGB is represented in the US anymore. Parts will be tough to find. Hardly any performance parts are available.

That said, I'd add one to the fleet if one came up. TGB has a decent rep for quality, albeit not one of the better known Taiwanese brands.
How many scoots is too many?

Triesandluth

Postby Triesandluth » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:09 pm

A little research on it leads me to believe that basic Moroni upgrades work for it. And racing planet actually has a section for it. But I'll have to wait and see. I like to keep my fleet rare and smelling like two stroke!
-2005 Super 9 LC 70cc malossi, 19mm arreche carb, malossi variator, tecnigas rs 2, other mods and goodies

Triesandluth

Postby Triesandluth » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:33 am

Well, parts are kinda hard to find. Mechanical advice is even harder. There's almost no one on the tgb forum. And this thing doesn't hold up to my s9 at all. I should've known that the s9 would trump any fifty I buy...

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: tgb r50x??

Postby Areomyst » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:45 pm

The TGB is a nice fun bike. I've done quite a bit with them, and I don't like to do much in the name of performance modifications to the R50X. They just don't respond to the modifications the way many other bikes do. That said, I like the brakes and the way the bike handles. Steering is quick and nimble and the attitude of the chassis lends some extra stability when cornering. At least, that's my small take on the R50X.

If you ever have to take the variator nut off, remember that it's reverse threaded. It's best to use a piston stop to hold the crank still so you can remove the 5mm allen bolts that hold the kickstart ratchet mechanism to the crank.

There was a recall a while back about oil pumps on those. It was back when TGB was sold by Cobra Sales. I believe the update included new oil lines and a different intake manifold, but it's been a long time since I worked at a dealer and I don't remember exactly... If you're unsure if the oil injection system is up to snuff, pre-mixing your gas and oil may be a good idea.

If you have any specific questions, please be sure to ask. As you know, I can't always get on the board, but I am happy to help as I can!

Kind Regards,

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Areomyst
Site Admin

Re: tgb r50x??

Postby Areomyst » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:53 pm

One thing that I rather don't like, however, is the way that the crankshaft and the 3 crankshaft seals are situated. It's kind of a pill to change it all out, and those cranks are kind of known for failing... Yet another reason that I prefer pre-mix on those.

~Josh
"The more a man learns, the more he realizes how little he knows."

Return to “Scooter Workshop”